Ivermectin for mites - do i need to retreat?

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
So i just found that my chickens have mites, i think it started with my broody, since all of the babies have them. Also the babies in the house (that were under her for a few hours, she rejected them) have them. I treated the whole flock with Ivermectin pour on and dusted with DE. I will be changing out their shavings tomorrow. Do i need to retreat with the ivermectin or will one treatment take care of it? Is there anything I am missing? Are there vitamins i should be giving them?

You will need to re-treat and clean out the coop again in 7-10 days. Depending on how bad the infestation was, you may need to do it all again a 3rd time.

Mites are a nuisance. I have been dealing with them regularly since I got chickens. I consider them a small price to pay for the enjoyment I get out of having chickens, but... Geez...

Good luck.

Quote:
Thanks. Any thing else to do to clean the coop than replace all bedding? My coop is wood so i really cant use soap n water.

I use Oxine for coop cleaning. It's safe for chickens and doesn't have an odor. Mix as directed but DON"T use the "additive" they sell with it to boost it's cleaning power. The additive is not safe, and not needed for coops and chicken furnishings. I use Eprinex topically applied for mites/lice as well as worms and parasites. There's no egg witholding time with it. I also dust with Seven 5% dust for mites, both on the bird and in the coop before I put in the shavings. DE is good, but too slow acting. seven dust works immediately. You still have to retreat every 10 days until you break the mite reproductive cycle.

I dust the chickens with the Seven dust too. I pay special attention to their crests (I have Silkies and mites love the thick crests to hide in), around their vent and under each wing. I pick a day when there is a slight breeze and let the wind carry the excess dust away from us both. I try not to get it in their eyes or nostrils. With my fingers, I work the dust down past the feathers to their skin.

Back
Top Bottom