Ivermectin pro and con

Mamagirl3

Songster
May 1, 2022
Southern Missouri
Some just rave about ivermectin saying one thing takes care of everything, worms, scaly leg mites, and mites.
Whole others have strong opinions that ivermectin should not be used on chickens.
How do you decide? One article i read for using ivermectin was a DVM. So, i need some opinions from the tried and true people i know are using all the products for their chickens! Thank you!

Ivermectin is not approved for poultry in the US. Most medications are not approved, so we have to weigh why we would need to use it since it leaves a residue in the eggs, causing us to have to not use them for specific periods. FARAD is the organization that tells us if a medicine is approved or not, and you can always contact them with questions. Not many recent studies have been done on drugs when they are not approved by FARAD, but you may have some old studies you can find online.

Scaly leg mites can be controlled by applying oil such as vaseline, castor oil, mineral oil, etc to the legs and feet to smother the mites. Body lice or mites are normally treated with permethrin spray or the garden dust, sulfur powder, or Elector PSP. Worms may be treated with either Valbazen or SafeGuard/fenbendazole liquid goat wormer or horse paste, and have a 14 day egg withdrawal time after the last treatment. The only thing I believe that might require ivermectin is feather mites and rare scaly face mites. The latter can also be treated with the mild alternative, vaseline.
So when looking for info online, make sure that you are reading links that are from reputable sources, such as a vet college poultry expert or something like the Merck Vet Manual, The Poultry Site, and major universities. Poultry DVM, is not any named person or vet, just an anonymous website. Some of their info is okay, and accurate, but some of it a few years ago was inaccurate. They have improved. I have a suspicion that they also read BYC threads for some info. When you read something here, try to find a well known qualified source to back it up. This is all just my opinion.

Ivermectin is not approved for poultry in the US. Most medications are not approved, so we have to weigh why we would need to use it since it leaves a residue in the eggs, causing us to have to not use them for specific periods. FARAD is the organization that tells us if a medicine is approved or not, and you can always contact them with questions. Not many recent studies have been done on drugs when they are not approved by FARAD, but you may have some old studies you can find online.

Scaly leg mites can be controlled by applying oil such as vaseline, castor oil, mineral oil, etc to the legs and feet to smother the mites. Body lice or mites are normally treated with permethrin spray or the garden dust, sulfur powder, or Elector PSP. Worms may be treated with either Valbazen or SafeGuard/fenbendazole liquid goat wormer or horse paste, and have a 14 day egg withdrawal time after the last treatment. The only thing I believe that might require ivermectin is feather mites and rare scaly face mites. The latter can also be treated with the mild alternative, vaseline.
So when looking for info online, make sure that you are reading links that are from reputable sources, such as a vet college poultry expert or something like the Merck Vet Manual, The Poultry Site, and major universities. Poultry DVM, is not any named person or vet, just an anonymous website. Some of their info is okay, and accurate, but some of it a few years ago was inaccurate. They have improved. I have a suspicion that they also read BYC threads for some info. When you read something here, try to find a well known qualified source to back it up. This is all just my opinion.
Thank you so very much! I have always gotten great advice and info on this site... hence why i asked before doing this time! The ivermectin was a good speel.. for all in one!! But sounded too easy for everyone not doing it?? Thank you again. Time for our deep clean 6 mos treatments for health etc. Want everyone healthy and happy. Also, i have no signs of any of these... just always worm every 6 mos and in the past just dust each one with DE and then periodically dust nest boxes with new bedding as well. Have DE in both areas they dust bathe in. But only dust the bird itself lifting feathers out of the way... just every 6 mos. We do have about half our girls with feathers on their feet. In winter and during rainy times where it rains a week at a time... i do make warm feet/leg wash with some betadine soap and epsom salt... wash their feet/legs well. Then since it is set up any of the others that have really muddy feet get a foot spa too! In winter i put vaseline on them.. but dont in summer thinking it holds in body heat and would make them feel hotter? Thank you again! Thank you for your detailed reply!

Back
Top Bottom