Japanese Bantam Thread!

Hi everyone,
Should I be incubating my Japanese bantam eggs differently than standard eggs? I'm not having the best of luck with them. I set four in with 17 standard eggs and only one hatched. 13 of the standard eggs hatched. They looked fine when I put them in the hatcher but I candled them on the 23rd day and no movement. I put 3 more from my breeding pair in lockdown last night. I really want these to do well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone with color genetics knowledge able to help me here? Blue red over a grey hen produced chicks that are black with mink/brown heads. What color with these chicks be? Just curious to know what they will be. Time will tell shortly.

Hi everyone,
Should I be incubating my Japanese bantam eggs differently than standard eggs? I'm not having the best of luck with them. I set four in with 17 standard eggs and only one hatched. 13 of the standard eggs hatched. They looked fine when I put them in the hatcher but I candled them on the 23rd day and no movement. I put 3 more from my breeding pair in lockdown last night. I really want these to do well. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am incubating my first Japanese eggs. I have 6 and all are doing good! They don't seem any different than the other bantam eggs I have incubated & hatched. I have actually been incubating for about 5 yrs. now and have got a lot of chicks! I don't believe that u have to incubate them any different than the standard. Try and candle lite them at 10 days and if u have red veins in the egg then u have a baby in there! Sometimes if the light is bright enough u can see a black spot moving around in there! I actually cant see after the bittie is fully formed moving I guess where they are stuffed in that egg..lol.. I always wait until 2 to 3 days after the others hatch an throw the bad one out. Once 1 starts hatching and chirping it tends to make the others start!! Im not sure if this helps any but I hope u have better luck hatching ur others out!

I am incubating my first Japanese eggs. I have 6 and all are doing good! They don't seem any different than the other bantam eggs I have incubated & hatched. I have actually been incubating for about 5 yrs. now and have got a lot of chicks! I don't believe that u have to incubate them any different than the standard. Try and candle lite them at 10 days and if u have red veins in the egg then u have a baby in there! Sometimes if the light is bright enough u can see a black spot moving around in there! I actually cant see after the bittie is fully formed moving I guess where they are stuffed in that egg..lol.. I always wait until 2 to 3 days after the others hatch an throw the bad one out. Once 1 starts hatching and chirping it tends to make the others start!! Im not sure if this helps any but I hope u have better luck hatching ur others out!

I candle before putting them in the incubator, at 10 days and then on day 18. I get rid of the bad ones on day ten. So I know all of the eggs going into the hatcher are viable. One of the 3 I put in on Saturday has pipped so hopefully all of these will hatch. I have 2 more going in the hatcher on Thursday and 2 more 5 days after that along will 11 marans eggs. I am still collecting her eggs. I want as many of these babies as I can get :) Maybe I should have left the hatch in longer. I took them out on day 24. I am going to leave these in for awhile longer to make sure.

Hi everyone,

The creeper gene, Cp, that causes the short-legged stature of the Japanese Bantam contains a lethal component causing a certain number of embryos to die in the shell before hatching. If the eggs in question contained dead chicks that's the likely cause. If they eggs were clear they simply weren't fertile.
Japanese Bantam eggs aren't incubated any differently than other eggs. Not every egg from any chicken hatches.

Last edited:
The creeper gene, Cp, that causes the short-legged stature of the Japanese Bantam contains a lethal component causing a certain number of embryos to die in the shell before hatching. If the eggs in question contained dead chicks that's the likely cause. If they eggs were clear they simply weren't fertile.
Japanese Bantam eggs aren't incubated any differently than other eggs. Not every egg from any chicken hatches.

I know about the lethal gene in Japanese and I remove the infertile eggs at day ten. Out of the 3 breeds I put in lockdown at the same time as the Japanese had the worst hatch rate at 25%. The other 2 breeds were 65 and 100%. I was just curious if I should try something differently. This was my first attempt at incubating eggs of any kind. All of the other eggs that I incubated were bought from local breeders but the Japanese are mine so I want them to do well. It seems I am doing everything correctly so just bad luck on the first four I guess. I'll keep going until her fertility drops or my wife makes me stop.
wink.png
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom