Japanese Bantam Thread!

Took some new pics of my japanese today, since I haven't since shortly after getting them, when they were finishing up molting. I've got eggs in the incubator and can't wait to hatch my first chicks from them soon.
big_smile.png

My son remembered my love of a tiny bantam years ago and gifted me with a Japanese rooster and two Japanese hens and one black cochin. the resultst of the mix of black and white made for the lovely little rooster and the tiniest black hen. Here are some pics

Hi! My jap girl is from a hatchery, but other than having long legs, she looks pretty nice! If I were to breed her to a short legged too, (not that I am) what percentage of short legged chicks would I get?
I am new to this, but I'm pretty sure you would get somewhere around 50/50. Although a short legged roo might have some problems getting the deed done with a long legged girl. Where there's a will there's a way though.
wink.png

How many eggs can my broody Japanese Bantam hatch?

I have let her sit on 8 of her eggs - is this too many? What is the maximum number of eggs she could hatch? I want lots of chicks!!!!
Usually I only let them have 6.

I haven't had mine long enough for a broody, but my other bantams are similar size and I generally give them up to 6 large fowl eggs,or up to 8 bantam eggs. I don't know where you live, but when it's colder I give less, just to make sure there's less a chance of them not being able to cover them and some getting a chill.
I love seeing broody mommas. Pics please?

Back
Top Bottom