Japanese Bantam Thread!

Hi, I have three JB's. When we started out on the chicken adventure my wife got three because we were getting a little of everything. I love these little birds and want to get more. We have a BTB and Black Roo and one WTB hen. I want to get a bunch of the BTW and then probably some blue and other colors. I will take pics of ours and post them. I have never shown an animal in my life but now am seriously thinking about it with these birds.

I just love our little birds and never thought they would become my favorite of all the chickens. Sasha lays the best eggs. I know people do not think of them as good layers but she gives me an egg a day and they taste really good. I love making breakfast/ Egg sandwiches and two of her eggs makes the perfect sandwich. I saved up a dozen of her eggs once and made deviled eggs with them. Everyone thought they were the coolest thing ever. My wife loves our RIR.

Long pot short.... to late. If I wanted to raise a show bird were would I start with resources anyone know? I dont know anything about show animals are the conditions good for the bird? I would not want to do anything that would make the animal un happy.

Owingsia,

There is a Yahoo Group that discusses Japanese bantams on a regular basis. There you can ask around. This time of year, most breeders are down to their breeding stock. Usually fall is a good time to purchase adult birds. Feel free to ask questions. I have raised Japanese around fifteen years and they are a fun breed to raise.

Chris

Well today was a terrible day. I recieved my 30 japs this morning and all were DOA. It was just sickening. Plus i had finals testing in my Paramedic class for this semester so my mind was not in a great state :0(

Well today was a terrible day. I recieved my 30 japs this morning and all were DOA. It was just sickening. Plus i had finals testing in my Paramedic class for this semester so my mind was not in a great state :0(
That is so awful. Im so sorry to hear your bad news and SO very sorry you had to open that box.

Last edited:
Yes it was really terrible. I have the little guys just for pets and I dont show... But i lost all but 4 of my of my flock to coyotes this year so i wanted to rebuild my flock. NEVER AGAIN FROM A HATCHERY! I know they need to make money but i knew it was to early to send chicks when they sent me the arrival date email. They didnt put heat packs or close up most of the holes in the box etc... Something to just help the little guys make it. I will definitely go back to looking for locals and buy from that way. If anyone knows of breeders in Louisiana please let me know... I will not go through this again

Sorry Guys to be a Bummer ... Just had to vent. But just to send a little good news.. The 2 hens that i have left hatched 13 little babies between the 2 of them. So there is a little to smile about!! Maybe i will be able to find a new rooster to add some different genetics to the pile Lol and get my flock going again!!

Back
Top Bottom