Japanese Bantam Thread!

Thanks! I got them purposefully for snuggling, although right now I think they are less thrilled with that idea.
The way to their little hearts is food and treats. Once they know you will bring tasty things to them they will be all over you - literally!

I have about 20 Japanese Bantams at the moment. I personally don't like the show type birds with the short legs.....I just don't like the look of them, and I think it affects how they can move about. I free range my birds every day - and love seeing them shuffling about.

I breed mine to have 'medium' length. That way they also stay very clean (short legged ones drag their body on the ground and get dirty if free ranging). Any with very short legs are sold. Also I don't like the long legs at all - so they go too as pets.

No - well not the show quality type.

But they should still have short legs, compared to other chicken breeds, and some will have shorter legs than others - but very unlikely the proper short length.

If you want extra short leg Japanese Bantams, you need to go to a proper breeder.

No - well not the show quality type.  

But they should still have short legs, compared to other chicken breeds, and some will have shorter legs than others - but very unlikely the proper short length.

If you want extra short leg Japanese Bantams, you need to go to a proper breeder.

I can't find one around me. :(

I have about 20 Japanese Bantams at the moment. I personally don't like the show type birds with the short legs.....I just don't like the look of them, and I think it affects how they can move about. I free range my birds every day - and love seeing them shuffling about.

I breed mine to have 'medium' length. That way they also stay very clean (short legged ones drag their body on the ground and get dirty if free ranging). Any with very short legs are sold. Also I don't like the long legs at all - so they go too as pets.

I have seen several such posts here & they really confuse me. "I like a certain breed but I don't like it's defining breed characteristic".. Japanese Bantams are defined by their shot legs.
I've also seen: I like Cochins but I don't like the feathered legs; I like Polish but I don't like the crests; I like Muscovys but I don't like the caruncling. I don't get it. how can you state a preference for a particular breed while rejecting the feature that most defines the breed?

I have seen several such posts here & they really confuse me. "I like a certain breed but I don't like it's defining breed characteristic".. Japanese Bantams are defined by their shot legs.
I've also seen: I like Cochins but I don't like the feathered legs; I like Polish but I don't like the crests; I like Muscovys but I don't like the caruncling. I don't get it. how can you state a preference for a particular breed while rejecting the feature that most defines the breed?

X2. I think b/c of that special characteristic it has is why it acts like that. haha that's what I think.

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive comments on this rooster.

I have had a few colors of Japanese Bantams over the years and have distilled down to just the pure whites. I'm lucky to have a few great males and many equally good females to work with so this year's offspring are looking like improvements are still going on with the flocks here.

Here's another rooster still going strong in the breeding pen.

Back
Top Bottom