Japanese Bantam Thread!

Gotcha. This I can understand. Just have to harden up to the 50% possible hatch rates. What I don't understand is why its desireable (sp?) to breed for a trait that kills 25-50% of off-spring?

We are breeding to a standard like the APA Standard or the ABA Standard. These are the standard for poultry breeding. If you were to be raising mini horses would you try to get them as tall as they could be? No, just like Japanese Bantams. The standard calls for short legs and defines what a short leg is. You can breed them for what ever you like, just realize that if you take them to a show ( more than a county fair) where there are other good breeders your bird may not place at all and you may get embarrassed .
Terry

Ok... So feathers on one side, foot on the other. Now, when isthe bird considered full grown to measure that. I think my 2 girls legs are much shorter than that...

Also, I picked up my white boy and looked at him from the rear with his tail flaired... What exactly makes it split tail? Should it be a perfect fan shape?

BTW, I got these birds from eggs that I got from Decoyman, and he has some very nice birds.

If you bird's legs are shorter than 3/4 inch that's ok. The measure applies to a mature bird. A split tail is a tail that's split-the term defines itself. There should not be a void between the feathers on the left side of the tail & the feathers on the right side of the tail.
No idea who Decoyman is or the quality of his birds.
I'll make a recommendation to you: since it appears you're at least somewhat interested in showing/breeding to the Standard; buy & study the Standard Of Perfection. It's really an absolutely necessary tool for a breeder. Even though I've been at this for awhile I refer to mine regularly.

Great thread. I have a male and female BTW, Romeo and Juliet.

Sorry about the "cam wow"...my teen gets carried away with it! lol. My Juliet has just started laying about 3 weeks ago one egg a day faithfully! Two days ago she went broody. Wont come off the nest and is sitting on 5-6 eggs (only 1 of hers) the others are full size. This is my first batch of chickens and she is only about 25 weeks old. I thought since fall was coming she wouldnt go broody until summer, guess she has other plans! Any advice. I don't know what to do!

Great thread. I have a male and female BTW, Romeo and Juliet.

Sorry about the "cam wow"...my teen gets carried away with it! lol. My Juliet has just started laying about 3 weeks ago one egg a day faithfully! Two days ago she went broody. Wont come off the nest and is sitting on 5-6 eggs (only 1 of hers) the others are full size. This is my first batch of chickens and she is only about 25 weeks old. I thought since fall was coming she wouldnt go broody until summer, guess she has other plans! Any advice. I don't know what to do!

If you were more specific about what advice you're looking for it might yield more useful responses.

If you were more specific about what advice you're looking for it might yield more useful responses.

Not really looking for any specific advice, just any helpful thoughts on a young pullet already going broody at this time of year. Should I separate her from the others if possible? Does she have a good chance at actually hatching chicks since she is so young? Anyone else have a Japanese BTW that went broody so young and be successful? That's why I said any advice is appreciated.

H NO, I would rather breed to standard, like I said, I will have to harden myself to the in egg losses. Just curious you know... ANYWAY, I am going to get my boy off the roost tonight and try and get a pic of his tail flaired. He is only going on 5 months old, but his legs look to be right when I measure them against my finger last night, but took a measure tape of them anyway, and they measure just under an inch. JUST UNDER. Now the two little ladies, not even close! My little serema hen, who has a much smaller body than the jap girls, has longer legs than they do. I don't know how they manage to stay white!

I know it's not a jap bant, but I had both a faverolle and a silkie go broody right about 7 months, shortly after starting to lay. If you don't want chicks over winter, or you're worried about her being too young, then break her. If not, give her some eggs and see what happens. I have hatched eggs under broodies in the dead of winter here in MI, and never lost a one to cold. Mama's always took good care.

For poops and giggles, has any one crossed a jap with a serema? I ask because a serema hen lives with the jap hens, and my serema roo is too stuck up and prefers big booty fluff butts... The BIG GIRLS, and disdains having anything to do with the serema hen. WHO is an excellent broody btw.

For poops and giggles, has any one crossed a jap with a serema? I ask because a serema hen lives with the jap hens, and my serema roo is too stuck up and prefers big booty fluff butts... The BIG GIRLS, and disdains having anything to do with the serema hen. WHO is an excellent broody btw.

I think my roo is a serama/jap cross. Sold as a jap but color is not right. He is great, stands tall like a serama and very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom