Japanese Bantam Thread!

smile.png

Last edited:
I have a question....I got 7 japanese bantams eggs in the incubator. All 7 have movement and it is day 11. When does the lethal gene start to kill them? How does it kill them? Can I help one hatch if it can''t hatch on it's own? I was given the eggs for free so no complaints but i'd really like to understand the lethal gene and prepare myself.

I believe if it gets the lethal gene it will die around day 17 or 18 and it cant be saved. If however your have a chick that has piped its egg and stays that way for longer that a day or starts hatching with noticable problems and needs help then that is up to you. Some help even with the knowledge that sometimes helping is actually making it worse, though sometimes helping results in a healthy chick. Some people don't help and leave it up to nature to take its course. Survival of the fittest, many people don't want weak stock and usually weak chicks don't make it out of the egg only strong ones.

I believe if it gets the lethal gene it will die around day 17 or 18 and it cant be saved. If however your have a chick that has piped its egg and stays that way for longer that a day or starts hatching with noticable problems and needs help then that is up to you. Some help even with the knowledge that sometimes helping is actually making it worse, though sometimes helping results in a healthy chick. Some people don't help and leave it up to nature to take its course. Survival of the fittest, many people don't want weak stock and usually weak chicks don't make it out of the egg only strong ones.
ah this makes me sad. I am breeding pet quality only but I really hoped they'd all make it.

We had two little Japanese bantam chicks. One died (and didn't seem quite right from the beginning) at about a week and a half. My kids were sad that we lost the chick and were very perplexed as to the cause. After reading about the lethal gene, it made sense. The kids understood that it was genetic, and nothing could have been done. That's nature....

We had two little Japanese bantam chicks. One died (and didn't seem quite right from the beginning) at about a week and a half. My kids were sad that we lost the chick and were very perplexed as to the cause. After reading about the lethal gene, it made sense. The kids understood that it was genetic, and nothing could have been done. That's nature....

The so-called lethal gene causes some of the chicks to die in the shell. If the chick you're referring to hatched & died later the gene wasn't the cause.

The so-called lethal gene causes some of the chicks to die in the shell. If the chick you're referring to hatched & died later the gene wasn't the cause.
O.k. I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying. I read somewhere (erroneously) that some can survive a brief time. Our little one definitely had some type of defect (although not the lethal gene). The eyes were not right, nor was the bird proportioned properly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom