Japanese Bantam Thread!

I started a thread: first response said "She appears to be a Black-Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam. That breed is known for having short legs, and upright tails." I finally found this forum. . .

Almond's her name, ( Hope it's a she ) she has SHORT legs otherwise regular Banty size.

Almond's side view. I'm loving that tail.

Coca Nutt
" Almond " my shorty hen found @ auction. Someone said she was a " Japanese Bantam something "

Ideas BYC peeps
lau.gif
Yes she is a Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam. And she is definitely a she. If she is not laying eggs yet it looks like she might soon. She is very pretty.

Yes she is a Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam. And she is definitely a she. If she is not laying eggs yet it looks like she might soon. She is very pretty.
Thank you,
love.gif

How can You tell She's a she ? Waddles? Comb? Color? any ideas on Age ? when does the breed start Laying ? the Two behind her are Springs hatch. Coca is said to be Pullet and too young to lay and Nutt is said to be a Cockerel .

Only as a Pet quality:

Just so I understand : " Lethal Gene "

One unusual characteristic of Japanese bantams is extremely short legs. The trait is mainly caused by a single lethal gene, and all Japanese bantams are heterozygous. When the bantams are bred, 25% of the embryos receive two mutant alleles and die before hatching. 50% of the embryos receive one mutant allele and one wild type allele and are short-legged. The remaining 25% receive two wild type alleles and have legs that are longer than what most breeders want. When two long-legged birds are bred together, they never produce offspring with short legs. Breeding a short legged with a long legged will produce 50% short legged, 50% long legged without any lethal embryos.

25 % of embryos : Die before hatching

25 % of embryos : Will have Long legs

50 % of embryos : Will have Short legs

Last edited:
Just so I understand : " Lethal Gene "

One unusual characteristic of Japanese bantams is extremely short legs. The trait is mainly caused by a single lethal gene, and all Japanese bantams are heterozygous. When the bantams are bred, 25% of the embryos receive two mutant alleles and die before hatching. 50% of the embryos receive one mutant allele and one wild type allele and are short-legged. The remaining 25% receive two wild type alleles and have legs that are longer than what most breeders want. When two long-legged birds are bred together, they never produce offspring with short legs. Breeding a short legged with a long legged will produce 50% short legged, 50% long legged without any lethal embryos.

25 % of embryos : Die before hatching

25 % of embryos : Will have Long legs

50 % of embryos : Will have Short legs

I asked a long-time Japanese Bantam breeder about this some time ago. He's been an officer in the Jap Club & has written a number of articles about breeding Japanese Bantams. He's also a very well respected Poultry Judge. His answer was that breeding a long legged bird to a short legged bird will never produce any offspring worth keeping. Assuming of course that you are interested in Japanese Bantams that meet the standard description & might by worthy of showing.
As a result of this advice I breed only short legged to short legged.

Back
Top Bottom