Japanese Bantam Thread!

Here is my BTW Japanese Tokyo.....at least I THINK she is a Japanese......do young BTW japs normally have speckled black and white feathers when they come in at 2 weeks?

Here is my BTW Japanese Tokyo.....at least I THINK she is a Japanese......do young BTW japs normally have speckled black and white feathers when they come in at 2 weeks?

Juvenile plumage varies from adult plumage. Colour wise this could be a Black Tailed White Japanese Bantam. Can't tell much about type at this age but it looks a bit long in the back & the tail angle is low for a Jap.

Juvenile plumage varies from adult plumage. Colour wise this could be a Black Tailed White Japanese Bantam. Can't tell much about type at this age but it looks a bit long in the back & the tail angle is low for a Jap.

i believe they are BTWs.
I have had a BTW before, Cadbury. I raised him as a chick.

a lot of people have said my chicks look like their backs are too long for a jap, but they relly don't have long backs at all. when I take them out of the brooder they just squat there......when I put them back in, they fluff, stand straight and run away. they are weird. they have estreemely short backs, but they do have long wings that are already dragging....I find this a bit odd.

ill try to peek in and get a picture of them standing. their tails stick straight up.
here was one of them last week....he wasn't even standing all the way up~!

all the others do this....

Last edited:
i believe they are BTWs.
I have had a BTW before, Cadbury. I raised him as a chick.

a lot of people have said my chicks look like their backs are too long for a jap, but they relly don't have long backs at all. when I take them out of the brooder they just squat there......when I put them back in, they fluff, stand straight and run away. they are weird. they have estreemely short backs, but they do have long wings that are already dragging....I find this a bit odd.

ill try to peek in and get a picture of them standing. their tails stick straight up.
here was one of them last week....he wasn't even standing all the way up~!

all the others do this....

If a lot of people have said it they may be right. I can only compare the appearance of your chick to what mine look like at a similar age & yours appears long in the back. One thing I can see with the picture of the chick that's standing is its legs are too long. none of mine with long legs ever get to be that old. I pull their heads off coming out of the incubator.

If a lot of people have said it they may be right. I can only compare the appearance of your chick to what mine look like at a similar age & yours appears long in the back. One thing I can see with the picture of the chick that's standing is its legs are too long. none of mine with long legs ever get to be that old. I pull their heads off coming out of the incubator.

yikes! well, I will end up keeping them im sure....my roo from before everyone told me he had a long back......
I may end up selling that roo and keep the hens....the one with the ling legs is the roo. here is my boy:

I have to get rid of some of my chicks anyway just so I don't have a roo overflow. once they are older I will find nice homes for them through byc for my local friends. my breeder had never accurately given me the correct eggs I ask for anyways....saying twice now eggs he gave me were silkies but are now japs....but ya know, life shall go on.

I am making room for pure show birds this summer. by then, these chicks will be old enough to know whose good and whose not.

yikes! well, I will end up keeping them im sure....my roo from before everyone told me he had a long back......
I may end up selling that roo and keep the hens....the one with the ling legs is the roo. here is my boy:

I have to get rid of some of my chicks anyway just so I don't have a roo overflow. once they are older I will find nice homes for them through byc for my local friends. my breeder had never accurately given me the correct eggs I ask for anyways....saying twice now eggs he gave me were silkies but are now japs....but ya know, life shall go on.

I am making room for pure show birds this summer. by then, these chicks will be old enough to know whose good and whose not.
These are absolutely BEAUTIFUL Japs !!!! I'm so glad you posted the pics !! You are lucky to have such nice BTW Japanese , i hope you the best with them( i would certainly take your culls if we lived close /i'm in south Alabama) . Will be at the Newnan show at Atlanta the middle of feb. .... are you coming ?

I'm still looking for BTB eggs. My birds aren't laying, but if someone wants to trade eggs when they start back up, I have Blk Mottled.

These are absolutely BEAUTIFUL Japs !!!! I'm so glad you posted the pics !! You are lucky to have such nice BTW Japanese , i hope you the best with them( i would certainly take your culls if we lived close /i'm in south Alabama) . Will be at the Newnan show at Atlanta the middle of feb. .... are you coming ?

no, im not coming to te show. right now I have no show potential birds.. my jap has a fold under his waddle, so he has no potential although I think he is beautiful....

I may sell any of my roo chicks, and keep the hens for my jap. right now I know I have a roo and a hen, but the last is questionable. I wish we lived closer to eachother! my neighbor, who absolutaily loves my jap, and has been asking for him....hahah.....I may give him a roo....he loves my jap so much!

from Alabama im 10 hours away....from where your show in Georgia is, im 7 hours away. why does live have to be so inconvenient sometimes?!?! hahah

Last edited:
I'm still looking for BTB eggs. My birds aren't laying, but if someone wants to trade eggs when they start back up, I have Blk Mottled.

I have BTW chicks....and a grown roo....but he doesn't lay eggs.

good luck in your egg search! (I would send you my breeder's eggs, but im always questionable with him. he has said silkie eggs were silkies....they were actuailly jap eggs. LOL)

I have BTW chicks....and a grown roo....but he doesn't lay eggs.

good luck in your egg search! (I would send you my breeder's eggs, but im always questionable with him. he has said silkie eggs were silkies....they were actuailly jap eggs. LOL)
[/quot

LOL Maybe he should have been given a copy if theSOP for Christmas. hehe

anyone knows if a breeder I really appreciate them keeping me in mind.

Back
Top Bottom