Japanese Bantam Thread!

Makino is growing rather quickly!!

he finally stood up straight after he got out of the small pen, but he had his back turned to me!! Silly boy..

Turned around for me, but walked right out of the shot. The only one of our bantams I can seem to get pictures of is that buff OEGB. He insists upon being right in camera range at all times!!

Promising cockerel!

My new black Japanese Chicks! For now, the one with more white on it's chest is A, and the other is B. when they're older, I'll give them their permanent names. But they are doing really well - eating, drinking, sleeping, peeping, and pooping just fine!

[/IMG]

These bantams were just nine days old when WhiteFeathers brought them out of the Hutch, and taught them to climb the ladder at bedtime. They are 11 days old now. I just got through taking this pic of them marching to bed. There are 5 chicks. #1 is ahead of mama. You can see its tail tip just to her left.
Chickens are smarter than we give them credit for.

My new black Japanese Chicks! For now, the one with more white on it's chest is A, and the other is B. when they're older, I'll give them their permanent names. But they are doing really well - eating, drinking, sleeping, peeping, and pooping just fine!

[/URL]

What makes you think they are Japanese Bantams? They exhibit none of the proper breed characteristics.

No feathers on the legs, and they appear longer than they actually are. His foot looks strange in this pic. He actually has very little leg length, and when he stands properly, wings are just brushing the ground. That's why I am keeping him as a "possible". Culls are so heavy in this breed due to the dreaded double short legged gene, that keeping a rooster (yes, I know he's got a while to go before earning that classification) with a bit of leg length is actually beneficial to a breeding pen.

No feathers on the legs, and they appear longer than they actually are. His foot looks strange in this pic. He actually has very little leg length, and when he stands properly, wings are just brushing the ground. That's why I am keeping him as a "possible". Culls are so heavy in this breed due to the dreaded double short legged gene, that keeping a rooster (yes, I know he's got a while to go before earning that classification) with a bit of leg length is actually beneficial to a breeding pen.

No serious breeder of Japanese Bantams would use a long legged male for breeding. By serious breeder I mean anyone interested in producing birds capable of winning in competition. Again, most serious breeders look for a leg length of about 3/4 inch in their breeding males.

No serious breeder of Japanese Bantams would use a long legged male for breeding. By serious breeder I mean anyone interested in producing birds capable of winning in competition. Again, most serious breeders look for a leg length of about 3/4 inch in their breeding males.

3/4 inch for a breeding cock is what I consider long. I've currently got cockerels with shorter legs than some of my pullets. These little ones are from SQ stock and will be culled if they don't meet SOP. I'm not interested in producing birds that won't win in this breed. They are not part of my layer flock. This group will have their first show in Oct. we've got time to figure out who stays and who goes. The little cockerel I posted the pic of has a good top line, head, and rear. His tail set is right, and he looks promising. He's got time.

ETA... Even though he is standing way too tall in this pic, his top line actually is quite wonderful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom