Japanese Bantam Thread!

[quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7046320/[/URL]"] Just wondering if anyone knows if it's normal for a 1st time broody to attack her babies? After the 1st egg hatched Big Ang diligently kept the eggs warm
A good mama never attacks her chicks. As soon as I see a mama hen attack I get the babies out. I have never had one change her mind and start to be nice. [/quote] Well, I am just grateful I happen to be there to catch her in the act, otherwise dem babies wouldn't have made it. I am guessing I will need to find a good home for these two as we have had a horrible time integrating several times in the past. Thank you kindly for your honesty and timely response. It is much appreciated :).

Here is my BTB young roo. He was born back in March.

I have a question. My BTB hen has already laid 11 eggs in her nest box. At what point will she begin to brood? I have an incubator, but wanted to let her do it naturally. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question. My BTB hen has already laid 11 eggs in her nest box. At what point will she begin to brood? I have an incubator, but wanted to let her do it naturally. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
I continue collecting their eggs until one or more of the hens goes broody. I can usually identify the eggs with my hens, and take her eggs out of the refrigerator, and put them under her. About 19 days later I'll get a hatch.
11 eggs is a bit too many for my hens. I don't put more than 6 -8 eggs under one hen....They could probably handle more, but that's how I like to do it.

I continue collecting their eggs until one or more of the hens goes broody.  I can usually identify the eggs with my hens, and take her eggs out of the refrigerator, and put them under her.  About 19 days later I'll get a hatch.  
11 eggs is a bit too many for my hens.  I don't put more than 6 -8 eggs under one hen....They could probably handle more, but that's how I like to do it.

Thanks for the reply. I saw her sit on them yesterday. She now has 13, but was able to maneuver all the eggs under her. She only sat on them for a while though.

Back
Top Bottom