Japanese Bantam Thread!

She is very pretty, is she for show? I will be getting a silver sebright bantam(for my sister) and will be trying out a black silkie as well, am half tempted to forget the silkie and get another jap. When they are old enough then l will put them with my lonely jap roo.

l am interested in showing mine, but he holds his tail crooked, and has a feather that is partially cut off and won't grow back. Any tips?

If you pluck out the broken feather it will re grow quickly. Otherwise you are doing to have to wait till the next molt.. which could be a year away!

The crooked tail.. if it's lopsided and held to the side.. is genetic fault. You can not fix that... and you should not use that rooster from breeding as he will pass on the genetic defect to his offspring.

Can you post a picture of what his tail is doing so i have a better Idea to tell you what to try

No not really, l don't even have a phone.
If you pluck out the broken feather it will re grow quickly. Otherwise you are doing to have to wait till the next molt.. which could be a year away!

The crooked tail.. if it's lopsided and held to the side.. is genetic fault. You can not fix that... and you should not use that rooster from breeding as he will pass on the genetic defect to his offspring.

Well, his tail wasn't lopsided at first, over winter l had to keep him in a tote in the garage in order to keep him warm. He started to hold his tail diagonally then in an effort to save his tail, which sort of worked.

No not really, l don't even have a phone.

Well, his tail wasn't lopsided at first, over winter l had to keep him in a tote in the garage in order to keep him warm. He started to hold his tail diagonally then in an effort to save his tail, which sort of worked.

Keeping a rooster in a small plastic box for several months... so small he can't even hold his tail upright, and causign him to become deformed, seems a tad cruel. How come you could not get him a cage or make him a bigger place to live during that time?

I recommend you invest in proper chicken housing.... which has enough space for the birds, before you start buying more chickens, breeding and showing them in the future.

There are some good threads on this site about coop design and the space needs of chickens. Maybe a good idea to read through a few.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom