Japanese Bantam Thread!

My birds’ first snow and the only Jap brave enough to venture out. He’s in a bit of shock it seems. :love
63DDB33D-166E-4B97-A9AA-7A8C6A6AD5CE.jpeg DF8E1E13-6E23-43F0-86B4-598203E022F2.jpeg

Broke down and brought both my cockerels inside tonight and set them up in a closet. It’s so cold, and despite everything I’ve tried they are showing signs of frost bite on their combs and wattles. Hoping that after a few nights out of the cold they will recover, I’ll put them back at dawn with the girls, but this weekend is supposed to be brutally below freezing so this is my only conceivable plan to prevent more damage.

Anyone here have a better idea than overnight house guests?
93BE991A-8814-4E19-B717-4A59D26C917C.jpeg
D22AA53C-DE56-47F7-85A5-607CF2DD5CB2.jpeg

So i own 1 jap mottled roo bantam abd he breeds my standard hens. I've seen bulls-eye in yolk plus seem his offspring that wwere almost completely feathered but never hatched..I think me not having successful hatch rate is the short leg trait and mixinh him with with standard hens?

So i own 1 jap mottled roo bantam abd he breeds my standard hens. I've seen bulls-eye in yolk plus seem his offspring that wwere almost completely feathered but never hatched..I think me not having successful hatch rate is the short leg trait and mixinh him with with standard hens?
The fatal gene typically only happens when mating two short legged Japs together and 25% of those chicks won’t survive to hatch. The breeding of a short leg to a longer legged one will not result in this, but will yield more long legged chicks than desired.

So it should not be a factor with your standard hens, I’d be looking at other reasons like incubator problems or likewise. Is he your only rooster? Have there been any live chicks?

The fatal gene typically only happens when mating two short legged Japs together and 25% of those chicks won’t survive to hatch. The breeding of a short leg to a longer legged one will not result in this, but will yield more long legged chicks than desired.

So it should not be a factor with your standard hens, I’d be looking at other reasons like incubator problems or likewise. Is he your only rooster? Have there been any live chicks?
Yes, I have only hatched bantam eggs. My standard eggs never hatch. They have chicks inside I have looked after it was obviously too long and not alive. Still had yolk but otherwise looked fully developed. Hes only rooster with the standards i have two show chickens (one hen one roo,) in their own run by themselves.

The Easter eggs appear really really thick the eggshell i cant ever even see nothing when i candle therefore i keep up with weight loss of egg Since i cant see anything with my candler...

I have two bators.. One is a styrofoam& homemade one which stays accurate with hygrometer and a seven egg incubator with a happy farm remote hydrometer with a sensor attached to end of cord to make sure incubator stays consistent!

Heres two ofy items

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-30-10-57-27.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-30-10-57-27.png
    149.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2017-12-30-11-02-48.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-30-11-02-48.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2017-12-30-10-57-27.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-30-10-57-27.png
    149.3 KB · Views: 10

Back