Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
ohh...I just realized one of the 2 chicks we has legs that are to long and crooked toes on one foot
sad.png
I am not sure what to do...can you keep the longer legged ones for breeding? or must they be taken out of the breeding pool? Is it better to always have short legs w/ short legs for breeding? I am not sure what to do as I am not a fan of culling I guess it will just have to go live in the banty coop with the others... although I am not sure if it's a girl or boy yet... does anyone know of any tricks to tell what sex they are at a young age?

The arguments are: If you breed long to short, you have 2x as many long legged chicks to deal with. You may be inadvertantly be breeding in other unwanted characteristics (ie longer back). Others say breeding long to short increases the fertility and you end up with more short legged chicks to choose from. Its really a choice you have to make. Look at its other characteristics and see if it measures up in the other aspects. Just because it has short legs, doesn't mean it is show quality, but if it has long legs, it certainly is not. Always keep an eye to the standard and breed towards those characteristics.

PS My little roosters usually show their bright red combs real early, even by three weeks its pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's hard to tell... if he does stand like that most of the time he has a "v" back there should be more space between the head and tail,( more like a "u") he has nice yellow legs but the primary feathers on the wings should hid the legs if they are the right length, the primaries should be touching the ground. Other than that he has a very nice tail, the sickle feathers are nice and tall. Also, I can't see the end of his comb, it should have a nice rounded edge with no bumps.

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

These are things we have learned from going to shows with my sons roo "Jet". Sorry these photos aren't the greatest but you can see in the first one you can't really see his feet from the side, nice rounded body. His biggest problem as you can see from image #2 is that he doesn't always hold his tail strait. He doesn't have "wry tail" but he for some reason is lazy about holding it strait sometimes, that is what cost him in the last show, he would have placed first. You could always put him in some shows, judges are always very friendly and ready to give their opinion. Though, sometimes it depends on the judge and their opinion, sometimes if it's a breed they are un-familiar with they go by the book, if it's one they breed themselves they are more thorough but like I said it depends on the judge.

Back
Top Bottom