Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Quote:
Where are you located? Do you have a color preference? Did you decide you wanted the shorter-leg version? Sorry for the interrogation, but a girls gotta know! lol.

Texas Panhandle is where I live...

I am looking for all diffrent colors, I like them all and want a variety.

I would prefer the non-show (short legged) but will take what I can find.

Okay, well I have some questions about japanese bantams!
-Can they get up on perches, or would they need to be lower then usual?
-How well do they lay?
-How much do they weigh? It seems like the roosters are pretty chunky for a bantam!
-Could they be a good laying flock of bantams for someone with a smaller place? (Instead of having 10 big hens, I could have 15 jap bantams in the same space)

Quote:
They are more flightly that other breeds, hens weighing 1-2 pounds. If you get the show quality, they have TINY legs (they dont look like they have any even when standing up) Hatchery Jap Bantams have longer legs and fair better.

They can lay from 1-3 TINY eggs perweek. Depends on a lot of factors, some just lay less, and some are effected by weather. (as most chickens are)

Yes, 15 jap bantams would give you lots of eggs, 15-3X per week, depending on if they go broody, weather...ect.

This is all from my reading experience and research.

Plus they are friendly and CUTE!

Thank you SL Mom, and I hate to say this for all you show breeders... But, I like my japs with slightly longer legs
hide.gif

I have to say my friend has a small flock of Japanese bantams - and i dont find them flighty at all - tho he hand raises the chicks alot - they do go broody easily - they are very curious and sweet - his love his dogs and when let out will tottle around after his cocker spaniels . They are confident but not brazen it seems. His rooster is the best rooster i have seen - takes care of his girls and is QUITE the dad to the chicks -

Quote:
Hey, to each his own. If I had to raise them with other chickens and have them permanently in a regular pen, long legs would be best. Of course their long legs are still shorter than most breeds!

Quote:
The short leg gene is a lethal gene, so chicks with a double short leg gene die in the shell. So short leg x short leg = 25% dead in shell, 50% short leg, and 25% long leg. Short leg x long leg = 50/50. They tend to have a trouble breeding, so poor fertility is an issue you have to deal with. They are not as good at evading predators (although they do fine at evading me if they get out). But like most banties, they can fly fairly well. I think they have more issues with pasty butt, even as adults you have to watch for accumulation due to being right down on the ground. In my experience, the short legged babies just aren't as hardy as the long legged ones. BUT, in case you were wondering after all this, I love my little short legged Japanese.

Quote:
The short leg gene is a lethal gene, so chicks with a double short leg gene die in the shell. So short leg x short leg = 25% dead in shell, 50% short leg, and 25% long leg. Short leg x long leg = 50/50. They tend to have a trouble breeding, so poor fertility is an issue you have to deal with. They are not as good at evading predators (although they do fine at evading me if they get out). But like most banties, they can fly fairly well. I think they have more issues with pasty butt, even as adults you have to watch for accumulation due to being right down on the ground. In my experience, the short legged babies just aren't as hardy as the long legged ones. BUT, in case you were wondering after all this, I love my little short legged Japanese.

So if im working with a project and includes jap blood should i be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom