Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
So I'm sure this has been answered several times somewhere and I'm just missing it.

I have a pair of Black tailed buffs. I like them a LOT but I really like the black tailed white. The only one I had got picked off by a hawk. Now the Japs are no longer free ranging when the bigger chickens.

I would love to add another black tailed white but I don't want to set up another pen just yet. What will happen (color wise) if I cross the Black tailed white/Black tailed buff?

I'm assuming they will not come out pure whites or buffs?

Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Quote:
from what the long time breeders told me - the males will have thicker shanks (legs) than the female - they will have thinner ones.

I have one now its almost 3 weeks old now - but had thicker shank than any one in the pen is starting to get a comb - its definitely a roo.

but since i am no expert i will wait until about week 4 before i sell some chicks cause i dont want to mistakenly sell my females.

Quote:
I dont know the exact genetics and I am sure someone here would know more. but I am thinking you will or can get whites with buff bleeding through. and maybe diluted buffs.

I think its worth a try. I have my white roo in with my btw hens because i lost the btw roo and the white hen. But now my btw hens have gone broody and I have no idea on what that cross would make. i have one chick that may have come from this crossing the egg was not marked and its that little cockrel that I was talking about before. he has a black tail and it looks like his wings are coming in all black.... but he has great type super small legs... waiting to see how he feathers out.

You will have to wait until its 3rd molt to see what the true colors would be.

I am so excited! My Jap girls went broody on an empty nest and would not lay eggs.
hit.gif
After blocking the nest for a few days then moving it, they are laying again! I think if we got them some fertile eggs and left them in the nest they would go broody again.
wee.gif

Quote:
A lot of people have crossed Black Tailed Buff with Black tailed White for different reasons; to improve the Black in the wings and tail of their BTB's or the type they had in their BTW's was better than the type in their BTB's. Realize that positive results from crossing varieties and breeds doesn't happen quickly. A project like you are considering will take 3 to 5 years and you will get a lot of junk. In order to improve what you have you 'have to hatch many and cull many'.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom