Java Thread

I am posting these photos in hopes to determine what type of chicken my friendly black chicken is. I requested an australorp. However, have noticed that she has yellow on the bottom of her feet. I have been doing some super sleuthing and found your thread. I got her in the beginning of October and she was approx 2 weeks old at that time. The top picture is most recent. Regardless of what she is, we are thrilled with her. Just curious as a newby. Thanks for your time.

Hello everyone. My attention was drawn to this thread and I thought I would respond to a few things.

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy has tried to locate as many of the extant Java lines/ strains as they could over the past couple of years. Last Spring, I worked with their bloodline information and tried to connect and expand upon it. The result of my work is posted in the file section of the yahoo java chicken group. I continually invite comments on the bloodline/ strain map that I created knowing that there are likely birds out there that neither ABLC or I have identified. Importantly it sounds like there may be some additional Dr. McGraw flocks out there. My only stipulation for inclusion on the map is that a flock of javas be in existence for at least five years. My goal is creating the bloodline map is two-fold. First I wish to preserve the knowledge of, and honor, the people who have kept the javas going over the years. Secondly, many people have asked where they can obtain birds that are from different java lines. I hope it helps them and insures that all of the lines we have today continue to be raised. Unfortuately not everyone I contacted about the bloodline map was helpful, but I continue to try and perhaps this forum will open some new leads.

If you look at my bloodline map you will notice that I have not connected Craig Russel's line to anything. He swears he sent birds to Monte Bowen and Garfield Farm. However I have not been able to confirm this. Monte Bowen emphatically denies that he ever recieved any birds originating from Craig. The only outside bird he says he ever obtained was from Donnis Headley (excuse my spelling) which apparently wasn't used in his breeding pens. Similarly Pete Malmberg says that Garfield farm never recieved any birds from Craig's line. That's why Blackberry farms is never mentioned in connection to Garfield's flock. No one there seems to remember it if it did happen. I would very much like to identify breeders who are still raising Craig's java line. The line seems like it would be very distinct and important to preserve.

Similarly when I talked to Glen Downs from Sandhill he made no mention of Craig's line or of Ed Hart. He said that he started with Dr. McGraw's javas, but because he had problems with them he immediately had to refresh his flock with Urch birds. I was left with the impression that the Sandhill mottleds were now mostly descended from Urch and Monte birds.

It would be great if someone, Saladin, would write a well-documented article about Dr. McGraw's contributions to preserving the java for Ruth Caron's Java Breeders of America newsletter. I would never slight him or what he did, but in the absence of more connections to his flock I still contend that the current resurgence of the java should be credited to Duane Urch and Garfield Farm. I still believe that most javas trace back to them in one way or another, unless someone can show that Howard Tallman's birds were are connected Dr. McGraw or that Dr. McGraw's birds were introduced into Urch's flock of javas.

Sincerely, Jim Ward

Well, my little rooster started performing finally and I've been getting eggs from at least one of the bantams. I'm thinking off incubating 2-3 of those to see what they look like. I haven't been able to locate a Java breeder here and the guy I bought the chickens from hasn't been able to get me closer to the breeder in Belgium. I'm going to have to import Java eggs to incubate if I want pure ones. Can anyone help me?

Sumi, I'm new to this thread and I may have missed some of your other posts. I don't know where you are located. I do know that Tony Beardsmore of the UK has Javas, mottleds and blacks. His flock was featured in a magazine that is available at American farm stores. Tony I gather is the president of the UK rare chicken breeds club. It may be easier to get stock from him then to get eggs from the US. He may also know who else has javas in the UK and on the Continent.

In the US the Java breeders are gathering in several places. There is a Java Breeders of America website and Facebook discussion page. There is also a Java Chicken Yahoo Group. On the Yahoo Group pages there is a file section that has information on the java standard, history, etc. You can also ask questions like you can with the Backyard Chicken forum.

Javas are one of three breeds of chickens with black legs and yellow soles. Most hatcheries in the US don't carry javas but they often have giants. I would assume unless the hatchery says otherwise that black chickens with black legs and yellow soles of the feet are giants unless a hatchery specifically says otherwise. The problem of course is that most hatcheries have really terrible giants that aren't all that massive which adds to the confusion. The third breed in the US with black legs and yelow soles is the Sumatra. ---Jim Ward

Well, my little rooster started performing finally and I've been getting eggs from at least one of the bantams. I'm thinking off incubating 2-3 of those to see what they look like. I haven't been able to locate a Java breeder here and the guy I bought the chickens from hasn't been able to get me closer to the breeder in Belgium. I'm going to have to import Java eggs to incubate if I want pure ones. Can anyone help me?
Woohoo! That's great!

I still gotta get you some more book files sent to you....Hope your year so far is doing great!

Sumi, I'm new to this thread and I may have missed some of your other posts. I don't know where you are located. I do know that Tony Beardsmore of the UK has Javas, mottleds and blacks. His flock was featured in a magazine that is available at American farm stores. Tony I gather is the president of the UK rare chicken breeds club. It may be easier to get stock from him then to get eggs from the US. He may also know who else has javas in the UK and on the Continent.

In the US the Java breeders are gathering in several places. There is a Java Breeders of America website and Facebook discussion page. There is also a Java Chicken Yahoo Group. On the Yahoo Group pages there is a file section that has information on the java standard, history, etc. You can also ask questions like you can with the Backyard Chicken forum.

Javas are one of three breeds of chickens with black legs and yellow soles. Most hatcheries in the US don't carry javas but they often have giants. I would assume unless the hatchery says otherwise that black chickens with black legs and yellow soles of the feet are giants unless a hatchery specifically says otherwise. The problem of course is that most hatcheries have really terrible giants that aren't all that massive which adds to the confusion. The third breed in the US with black legs and yelow soles is the Sumatra. ---Jim Ward
Thank you for that! I've done quite a few searches online looking for Javas in the UK and for breeders, any mention of them really, and found nothing at all. I'll contact the rare breeds club and see what I can find out.

I'm looking to get some Javas this year, and I was wondering, does anyone here east of Missouri and south of Ohio sell and ship Java chicks?
I would especially like to get the auburn and white varieties.

Back
Top Bottom