Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Hi Tara, I thank You for the up-date on the puppers and want to wish you and all of yours a very Happy New Year!

Hi NFC, it is ok to ask a duckling question.
Scott

There's a familiar face! Hi Scott
frow.gif

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions about the ducklings. One thing I'm hoping will help is the Storey Guide to Raising Ducks book I ordered a few days ago, it should be here Monday. But if ducklings are anything like human babies, you can read all you want about them then once they show up, it's like
barnie.gif
...what do I do now? Always helpful to have real people to ask questions of.

Heel low:

OK, best I start to do some catch up here in this post...then on to newer news...
tongue.png

Start with the trucker escapades first...

Plate done up for the newest Suburban...
So we all know the glam and glitz that Rick does when he pimps out a vehicle...snapped this pic because we had the 1989 one ton out...

This unit started here as a cab and chassis...so this was how it has been done up and rigged out. Pimped out as some may label it.
gig.gif

This morning because it is like twenty below...Rick has gone off to a wreckers to see what is salvageable from a suburban they have. Suspect he will return with some treasures...thinking of changing the back bumper to a more original chromed one, need a large wing nut (hmm...I might suit that handle some dazes, eh!) for securing the spare tire on a rim we have purchased, he may bring home a middle seat too. The 60% side was not there (the 40% side is in the 88 unit). This new old 60% middle seat is tan in colour and not blue like in both our suburbans...I am on the hunt now to find good saddle blanket material and whisk the new sewing machine into action to make up some matching seat covers...if'n I can find the saddle blanket material that is. Yesterday's trip to the city to one fabric store netted nada in the proper vehicle type seat covering material I may have to hunt hard on the Net to find some and dare to order some up. Oh and do note...we have tried to purchase the premade seat covers...got two for the front seat but am told because of the age of the two suburbans...the patterns were thrown away by the one company that manufactures the vehicle seat covers...golly, eh. NOT that old...30 years I suppose, but not DEAD YET!
old.gif

So here is the unit as it progresses along...note the colour of the front side mirrors in this shot as they arrived here...spray painted white and not too nicely.

New tires on rims...new chrome lug nuts (me luv the colour chrome!), black coloured caps...

BACK
So do look above the back wheel in the front before it and see the sneaky puckered paint...the bubbling...which we are hoping is only surface rust at this point!!
tongue.gif

FRONT

So the good news on the bubbled paint and rusty evidence...where is the truck today...at the body shop. Rick and I made the convoy yesterday morn to drop the 1988 Sub off at the body shop for her sand down to bare metal, touch ups all over her body on paint chips (some are already that rusty red colour...eek!)...the unit gets a nice rock guard type paint coating and we both decided to leave the body white and not do it up in black. So other than there being a different SURFACE to the bottom area on the body, the truck will remain white for now. We both think the truck was originally a Chev grey silver type colour from the door jamb and interior painted areas...but fur now, she stays white. This is the winter truck and to keep it looking sharp and clean, white really really does hide the dust and dirt better than say an all black truck (or silver grey in this case!). So if'n we ever want to repaint the truck completely, figure Rick will vote for the original grey if we do that in future.

So while at the body shop, off comes the two side steps, the back bumper (might go to original chromed one as said), the mudflaps and the rock guard and surface rust gone away and paint on it. That frees her up to have the shiny chrome checker plated running boards (sitting in the Man Porch awaiting her return and warmer weather) put on, the front and back mudflaps (backordered at this time), chrome extensions for the duo exhaust (have one, backordered the second one) and lots of purdy things like driving lights on the chrome license plate holder on the front.

Amongst a host of things like running board lights, back light bar, etc.

Note that Rick has heisted a set of stainless side mirrors...on the unit and lookin' swanky!

This is Rick's baby to play with and it is kewl to watch him at work (or is that playing??).
smile.png

Dec 23, 2015

OK...next some clicks of the dog play times...snow has fallen on and off...which of course makes for AWESOME play time for the gals.
highfive.gif

Dec 21, 2015 - Emmy being a "carcass"

Dec 23, 2015 - Emmy being run over...

Lacy getting attacked by Emmy - Oh we so wonder why, eh??

Lace-a-lot - Dec 25 2015

Emmest - Dec 27 2015
OK...time to post some Christmas escapades...

Girls in Garlands...festive Christmas fun...

Note that some of the Christmas clicks have sparkly sparkle glitters in the snow...happens naturally and is ever so kewl eh!
cool.png

Play time started off pretty calmish...

But regular fans of the girls know better...it won't last now will it??
roll.png

All it takes is one girl to play bow and next thing we know...racing begins...

Evil Emmy, lookit the look...she's up to NO good and Lacy looks at me as if to say, "Not me this time...not ME!"

CHOMPers!

Lacy's screams echo thru out the Valley... "SPINE BITE!"

Let's dodge the rest of the carnage and move on to the Christmas dinner that awaited us...

As some of the fans here know...my son has a banner for bacon on his wall...why,,,why not?
idunno.gif

Something about everyone has to believe in something and the reply is, "I believe I will have another slice!" or some such thing? We knew he liked the calendar the girl dogs got him because it was hung immediately upon the wall!
clap.gif

Dinner was excellent and everyone ate their plates clean!

Dessert was tres interesting and involved the primal man thing called FIRE!

Note the t-shirt my son has on...the cat on it appears to be watching the flame do horrid burnings to dessert...all turned out delish though!

Even Cookie the C@t sat at the table to watch the dinner proceedings!

So I do declare I think that about catches me up fer Christmas festivities had and enjoyed...well kinda!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Always good when you and the puppers check in, Tara. Looks like Emmest and Lacey were trying to remove each other's neck decorations. Happy early New Year to the whole
Higgins family 2 legged and 4.

Glad you enjoyed the posts my Dear DD.
hugs.gif

Heh heh...Same thought was racing thru Rick's mind when I told him before we left on Christmas Day to go to the son's for dinner... <<necker decorations...oh my...me and the must adorn shinies to dog necks thinking...what could go wrong with that innocent blunder??>>
wink.png

Rick was told, "Going out to snap photos of the girls in garlands" and he envisioned me holding them both at arms length trying to keep the garlands ON the actual puppy dogs. He was pretty right as rain but I did manage to fool the girls this first Christmas into ignoring the itchy glitters on their necks...for a while...a tad longer than Rick thought
lau.gif

"So she put that stupid stuff on your neck too...well, well, that's not gonna last too long, no is it!," says Em to Lace

Now in my previous post...you can see they both did play along quite nicely with Christmas Neckers in place...but as with all good things, not to last. Nope, never!

Captured this necker (should have made y'all guess which one lost it first!) of Lacy's airborne. Not ripped off by another pup so much as shook off by the actual owner. Way, way too much fun to be had.
gig.gif

See how Lacy's garland is mid air...hovering above the frolicking Christmas angelic girls...???
big_smile.png

Now contrary to DD's thoughts that they both removed each other's neck gear off...they both shook their garlands off and really were quite good about not desecrating each other's piece too badly.

Both girls smelling their own now tossed garland

Ever since we came here to Pear-A-Dice...the dogs don the glittery garlands and it takes until like JULY of the following year to pick up the glittering scatterings from the ONE day of festivities. Keepin' it tidy tidy!
smile.png

Emmy smelling the snow where some tinselly is laying

And once rid of the garlands...dog play like normal ensued...normal for ACDs that is.

Here is a little set of photos from the pupper girls to DD...<<are you energized??>> Sorta like a post Christmas glory gift...
tongue.png

Em whispers to Lace..."Let's act up for pictures for DD!" "Bully!," shouts Lacy Jill.

Emmy ATTACKS

Lacy (the Lady?) ATTACKS

Emmy leaps in the air!!

Whoops...way way too many action shots...is it nap time yet DD??
yesss.gif

Hi Tara
frow.gif

I've had at least 2 other members tell me I need to come meet you so here I am! Actually, now that I'm here, I realize we've met before over on the wild bird thread. Hope it's ok if I hang out here sometimes with you all.

Happy new year!

Yikes...I hope the recommendations are taken like a prescription...to make you feel better...not some persecution/penance of having to endure dog speak and hordes of doggy clicks...blick, eh!
wink.png

Yes, we have exchanged comments and ovations on several BYC posts...from the BYC calendar submissions to the wild bird birders...

Course it is OK to hang out.

More the merrier <and sillier it seems>!!

BTW, silly is always good here in Pear-A-Dice! Silly reigns supreme it seems.
lol.png

Hi Tara, I thank You for the up-date on the puppers and want to wish you and all of yours a very Happy New Year!

Hi NFC, it is ok to ask a duckling question.
Scott

Yer welcome Scott and 2016 promises to be as fun and exciting as the last one.

Yeh, Pear-A-Dice was established here based on dogs, ducks and trucks...so duckling quacker queries are indeed relevant.
lol.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions about the ducklings. One thing I'm hoping will help is the Storey Guide to Raising Ducks book I ordered a few days ago, it should be here Monday. But if ducklings are anything like human babies, you can read all you want about them then once they show up, it's like
barnie.gif
...what do I do now? Always helpful to have real people to ask questions of.

Yup, yer on a great plan of attack. Dave H is awesome about giving on the basics to waterfowl rearing and care. I have TWO copies of that book...because I dog eared and busted the pages right outta the publication it become tres embarrassing to let others even SEE the condition the book was in. So I ordered up a new copy that is more presentable.

Agreed, having someone to bounce questions off of it a good thing when raising living beings. Sometimes we need to know things and get feedback.

I will warn yah that I raise my waterfowl different that what many do. I abhor wire and will NOT raise creatures on wire...preferring the ground as what Mother Nature meant for them.

Some of my duck duck mantras are that ducklings' main objectives are to drown themselves in their drink. I recommend people use dollar store gotten marbles to keep the ducklings from drowning themselves and regulate the amount of water you let them have access to. After they outgrow the rubberized shelf liner, we use oat straw for bedding and you will find that when placed on river sand runs, waterfowl is no more messy than any other species of poultry...in fact often cleaner if you are smart & diligent enough to limit water access to sensible amounts.
wink.png

Glass tealight holders make awesome baby bird feeders/waterers

Grocery store baskets with hardware cloth lids (keep water off the hardware, toxic leakage can poison birds)...I brood bantams and standards separate and turkeys/chickens/ducks in separate containers. Not all get along well and some bully others. Every situation is different tho. Watch for troubles and rectify them as you so see fit.

Tend to coddle the Call Ducks and treat them as TENDERS but once as adults, very hardy sturdy birdies.

Jest so the landfowl fans don't get angry...some young chooks in Stanely the stainless water tub being brooded in the Duece Coop.

Another good poultry publication is the Raising Poultry one (nfi) by Glenn Drowns. Make sure it is the newest edition by Glenn.

A farm profile on is listed on pages 318 & 319.

Waz up with the ducks then?
hu.gif

Rick jest called, nada stuff on the suburban at the wreckers (ah...) so I guess I am back to being busy with me spouse having holiday funs...later, eh...

Tara

Tara love the updates and love love love that picture of the garland in mid air.
gig.gif

Gosh I wish your hubs could take a look at my truck but I suspect he doesnt do Dodges... I have a 97 Dodge Cummins one ton. That needs to be turned into a flat bed.

Its got 300,000 miles and it s a good puller. I still get 20 miles per gallon on it Loaded or full. Its a big block Six and a real diesel. Its the engine they put in Blue bird School busses.

The bed is cracked the sides wobble so much in the wind of the free way I couldnt keep tail lights on or the tailgate. So I had an RV place make me a set of tail lights that can bolt on to ONE of the walls of the slot. Works great.

I have a good injector guy but have bounced around from mechanic to mechanic for repair or replace work. When I bought the truck it had 180,000 miles on it. Back in 2004. its my only truck and will be my only truck I will never buy another.

Tara, thanks for the welcome and the info! I look forward to picking your brain in the future (the ducklings get here in April)
big_smile.png

Tara love the updates and love love love that picture of the garland in mid air.
gig.gif

Gosh I wish your hubs could take a look at my truck but I suspect he doesnt do Dodges... I have a 97 Dodge Cummins one ton. That needs to be turned into a flat bed.

Its got 300,000 miles and it s a good puller. I still get 20 miles per gallon on it Loaded or full. Its a big block Six and a real diesel. Its the engine they put in Blue bird School busses.

The bed is cracked the sides wobble so much in the wind of the free way I couldnt keep tail lights on or the tailgate. So I had an RV place make me a set of tail lights that can bolt on to ONE of the walls of the slot. Works great.

I have a good injector guy but have bounced around from mechanic to mechanic for repair or replace work. When I bought the truck it had 180,000 miles on it. Back in 2004. its my only truck and will be my only truck I will never buy another.

We like the year of trucks where you may actually work on them kinds.
wink.png

Rick's Pa was a Dodge man. He use to play that game where you bought it new, cared for it well for a few years, and sold it after two years er so at a profit--you got to drive new trucks fer like FREE. That was before the days where you drove a new one off the lot and it dropped instantly by $5,000...rightly way more now. Oh well. I like the old Chevs. Haul my sorry big butt about quite nicely, eh.

1989 cab and chassis

The deck for the 1989 cost us thousands to do up. We got a quote on a new deck at about $4,500 and opted that Rick hunt for an oilfield one and he found one pretty quick for lower dough BUT the welding cost the same for new deck or old one to unite them. OUCH but that happens only when you are paying for it and then you jest get to enjoy the ride and the work it does.
smile.png

Deck

Rick tore off the old wood, put in new...the rest of the work (which fills up PAGES and PAGES...Rick keeps documentation on each unit in its own separate coiled book) is history on her and she is a great rig to go for a ride in...still a work truck though but we are the type of family that thrives on work bees I suppose.

Every few years, Rick gets a new service truck from the company he is employed by. We freak out because I cannot imagine paying $$ for them. Ugly on a stick and things like the keys...for one key is like $150 fully programed (makes losing a key mighty NOT doing that!). Mirrors if dinged can run you into $500 and in some cases the heated ones are double or triple that...ugh! For hunks of plastic and glass with a bit of wiring in them. KACHING!

We bought an old Ford, think it was 3/4 ton for our first house...Rick worked with the fella that sold it to us (he used it to haul hand balmed gravel...exactly what we did with it too tho I do have a story about Rick rolling that large cedar burl we have that I carved at our front entrance gates down the hill off a cut block, me skipping outta the back to avoid being crushed and then being told to sit on it whilst Rick rammed the teetering burl into a embankment to put it fully into the back of the old truck bed--I don't move that fast no mores and thankfully Rick don't even think to do that no mores either) and that old beast of a Ford (driver returns on foot...bwa ha ha...now I got the Ford warriors all riffle up) pickup...she ran the same costs full or empty. Laughed as we did put a new muffler on it and at a road stop, the cop told us it was TOO loud and we needed to change out the old one. It had been changed a week prior...he looked kinda mystified when we told him that and he looked under her and saw all the shiny metal. Yeh, them old beasts could haul loads and roared about it too. We ended up giving it away after we were kinda done with the grunt work. You near cried when you filled her up fulla fuel but she worked. The one ton is a 454 and she guzzles and roars too...without bottles on the exhaust. Eeep....
tongue.png
She does however run more efficient...I believe Rick put an Edelbrock (nfi) carb on her and tweaked her better...she runs less glutzy...for a large motor work horse truck. Huge luxury for us to have our own hauler, eh. Luv me trucks...no doubts.

Tara, thanks for the welcome and the info! I look forward to picking your brain in the future (the ducklings get here in April)
big_smile.png

No worries...by yer name of "north" you may want to peruse my keeping ducks in winter article. On my website:

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/articles.htm

Article number two.

2 - Winter Care of Your Bantam Ducks

Or here if you like...

https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/winter-care-of-your-bantam-ducks/

Article I wrote up must be OK as there are people that have stolen it and never asked for my permission to put it up on the Web. That crap kinda irks me but whatever...UNauthorized posting is jest down right stealing in my books...good luck on people not being rude though.
barnie.gif

Dec 30, 2015

Laughed...made up some plates for Rick while I was out with the girls doing chores...he likey because all that was left was a few crackers and some metworst kinda meat when I got back. Lovely time of year for snacky attacks--would not be Christmas without that part.
lol.png

So Rick and I are off to go junking once it gets a bit warmer out. Found a site near the city that has three snow bound Suburbans that we are gonna crawl all over and see what parts we can scavenge up today. YAH...bring out yer junk and watch us drool upon it.
love.gif

Sick sick sickos! But please don't fix us...no meds please...leave us to our delusions ...we are most happy when embracing historical (old) treasures (garbage), eh!
wink.png

Talking about Dodges got me thinkin' of my FIL...so will post a song he liked.

Cattle Call
Written by Tex Owens:

Good music...
clap.gif

Well gotta fly but I have a folder fulla year end photos I gotta take a step out and post on here...sorta a year 2015 in review. Nothing the reg fans don't know but I DO like to look back at the year and recall all we got done up.
wink.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Tara, the "north" part of my member name refers to north Florida...our winters here are pretty mild compared to most other locations. I think it's about high 70's here today. A few times a year we'll get frost and an occasional freeze. I used to live in south FL where the temps were even warmer. This is about as cold as I want to get, lol.

I got my Raising Ducks book today! It came early so lots of reading to do this weekend, and next week and next, etc. Looks like a good one!

I'll take a look at the links you gave me, they sound interesting and who knows, DH might convince me to move to Wyoming yet some day.

Thanks for the info and have a great one!

P.S. I love the Cattle Song! I have it on a sound track from the Horse Whisperer movie, good music all round on that one.

Back
Top Bottom