Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Heel low:

May 17 2017 IMGP1384.jpg

May 17 - Foamers enjoying romping with ruminants too!
L00kit that grass crop that needs taming!

'Kay...

May 6 2017 IMGP8169.jpg

May 6

Dog time...

May 21 2017 IMGP2225.jpg

May 21 - Lacy, ready to pounce on Emmest

May 21 2017 IMGP2362.jpg

Emmy - barking...

May 21 2017 IMGP2399.jpg

Emmy is greedy...the more birch bark, the better! :lau

May 21 2017 IMGP2405.jpg

Lacy, she's happy with one good BARK! :lol:

May 21 2017 IMGP2413.jpg

What is better than cute yard ornaments... :confused:
Animated ones that sometimes pause
Pause so I can quickly CLICK the cuteness!

May 21 2017 IMGP2432.jpg

And dog clicks would not be complete without silliness...extreme silly!

May 21 2017 IMGP2435.jpg

DEAD DOG..."What is with the appendages everywhere's Lacy?"

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Tara I think you , Rick and the girls are making the very best of your situation. Of course my only criticism is I notice you eat a lot of veggies but, not any lunch or dinners of ice cream straight out of the cartoon with a good digging spoon.

But I like you all immensely , anyway. PS no birch bark for me, too many loose teeth (also why ice cream makes a great meal). And I love your narration of the photos. :love

Hey, Tara!:frow

BB2K and I have been puzzling about this for a few weeks, and I figured if anyone I knew could tell me what's going on, it would be you. Can you tell me, what color/pattern is this chicken?

20170526_102536.jpg

(Yeah, I know, he's a mess - he was just literally in the feed pan before I pulled him out to take the picture).

A little background - he's a Serama, and I know there's a little bit of everything as far as color genes going on in that breed. This is the first time we've seen anything like this in the Seramas, and there are two like this. I know it's not Splash; we have no blue Seramas. Besides, I've had Splash in both Silkies and Cochins, and this doesn't look like they did, at any stage.

His chick fluff was pale yellow; I thought perhaps he was going to be completely white (which would also be a first for these birds). The other bird with this pattern has more black spots than he has; she also had a few black spots when in her chick fuzz, too.

Can you enlighten us? We're stumped!

Last edited:
Heel low:

yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
Happy FLY Day...
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Grrrr...where the hockey sticks is the dancy chook and flappy chook in the normal drop down menu fur emoticons on BYC....Grrrr had to steal them from my mangled sig file.... GRRRRR :mad:

Tara I think you , Rick and the girls are making the very best of your situation. Of course my only criticism is I notice you eat a lot of veggies but, not any lunch or dinners of ice cream straight out of the cartoon with a good digging spoon.

But I like you all immensely , anyway. PS no birch bark for me, too many loose teeth (also why ice cream makes a great meal). And I love your narration of the photos. :love

Thank you DD... :hugs

Eat yer veg...even the girl dogs get veg. Romaine (the stems are fav), cooked and fridge cold carrots (great for teething relief!), peas (frozen ones go in dish if I made a soup broth and it is too hot / fresh peas I plant jest for the dawgs to pick off the plants...make them feel like they are being naughty!), spinach, etc. EAT YER VEG! :hmm

Veg then ice cream.

Tried out a new pool (have to find some place to go in Sep & Oct as the current pool is shut down for renos. I did four laps fast pace and three half laps of butterfly (only tried two half laps thus far!). I don't need a rest between laps for 8 and up to 10 laps now. End of April, I was stopping after first one or two laps...so I am indeed bumping up the cardio and stamina. I may live longer now...longer to be a pain to more persons!
:woot

Course after the swim, off to DQ for small cone for girls and banana splits for Rick and I...yup, sure hope that speedy work out UPPPED MY metabolism because we SLAMMED my efforts by having those treats...you only live once, eh. And we plan on living WELL... :old

Hey, Tara!:frow

BB2K and I have been puzzling about this for a few weeks, and I figured if anyone I knew could tell me what's going on, it would be you. Can you tell me, what color/pattern is this chicken?

View attachment 1018569

(Yeah, I know, he's a mess - he was just literally in the feed pan before I pulled him out to take the picture).

A little background - he's a Serama, and I know there's a little bit of everything as far as color genes going on in that breed. This is the first time we've seen anything like this in the Seramas, and there are two like this. I know it's not Splash; we have no blue Seramas. Besides, I've had Splash in both Silkies and Cochins, and this doesn't look like they did, at any stage.

His chick fluff was pale yellow; I thought perhaps he was going to be completely white (which would also be a first for these birds). The other bird with this pattern has more black spots than he has; she also had a few black spots when in her chick fuzz, too.

Can you enlighten us? We're stumped!

Hey Bun Buns... :bun

Recessive white perhaps? You need more than one kind of white gene to make a chicken exhibition white plumage--recessive white and dominant white are good starters on a pure as the driven snows white. Plus things like the bird being black (eumelanin) under the white instead of red (phaeomelanin) is best (slow red leaks more than faster black pigment does) plus Silver instead of gold, double dose of lavender, blue dilution....Barring/Cuckoo and mottling double dose; these are all ways to make a bird whiter (no pigment = white).

In chicks, I don't prefer a yellow white...I want a blue white. More likely end with an exhibition white. :D

0 July 31 2014 BB P1370528.jpg

Booted Bantams - yellow chick in right top corner will not be as WHITE
as the BLUE toned one on the bottom right corner
My Booteds come in light and dark skins and mixtures (pintos) of either
For whitest birds...I want blue, not yellow.

f3 Bantam Chant project IMG_9717.jpg

Day old Bantam Chantecler project chicks - F3's
Female on bottom (redder), Male on top

Some round about rooles on white...

Red pyle.jpg

Red Pyle male (with also with one dose blue dilution)

Dominant white will be expressed as pyle, in red or blue or black...one dose leaves you with a pattern like these and nope, like blue dilution, pyle (or pile) pattern does not breed true. Heterozygous for dominant white.

Red Pyle Pullet.jpg

Red Pyle female - she also hints at blue dilution as she is kinda bluey in areas
Blue dilution is GREAT for making self white chooks

The male gender expresses more white, he'll be whiter than a female of exactly the same genetics (think bro and sis, eh).

That photo above of the two day old chicks...same natural hatched chicks in winter...now same birds in summer ;)

F3 White Dove Higgins female P1380497.jpg

F3 pullet

It is vividly evident...pullet is redder and cockerel is whiter.

F3 White Dove Higgins male P1380623.jpg

F3 cockerel
It took me twelve long years and many, many, MANY chicks and grow outs to end up with this one... ONE HEN!!!! Celebrations begin NOW! :p
:thumbsup

1 Higgins White Dove F4 hen.jpg

F4 - White white WHITE...did I say WHITE Hen??? :celebrate

F3 bantam Chant IMG_1564.jpg

Brother Wilfrid, creator of the Chantecler...he had this same Columbian
pattern show up in his creations...he went with a Columbian cockerel to set
the white in his new Chantecler breed
That man was a genius before his time
Already knew black base better than red base
No pinky or orange birds...thanks! :barnie

What did I just write...better to start with a black based bird than a red one... :clap

F3 bantam Chant IMG_1604.jpg

F3 - Cute as a button but NOT a white candidate
Fine for Self Buff though! You gotta take what you are given, eh.
Lemons - set up a lemonade stand!!!
As with anything like breeding programs...plan and hope, do your best but go with the flow and take what you get. You may be looking over something given to you to accentuate if you get yourself bound and determined to have your own way or ELSE. I try, and try hard but am not foolish enough not to step back and go, so what is the good points I am overlooking with my tunnel vision to a wanted end.
:th

Red Pyle in Part and Buff.jpg

Red Pyle Chants!
Years ago, I was told I should not go forward on these not Partridge and not self-Buffs, but I flipped them the bird on killing them and used them to make some pretty fabulous basis for self-White in the Bantams. I saw past Red Pyle and grabbed the dominant white, which I did not have here in any other breeds. Grab it, embrace it and make the Higgins White Doves...both rec and dom white amongst everything wanted as white enhancers past I don't have any lavender here nor do I want that nasty short feather, feather stopper gene! :tongue

Accept the goodness gifts that appear when doing breeding projects and yes, do as you are doing, ask questions and research to understand it better. :hugs

Is the Serama recognized as a breed now? I am not up and up on that chicken biz much having sunk into my own happy joy world more often than naught. :confused:

Remember...any breed (shape) may be any variety (colour pattern).

What a lovely blessing to mess about with now...good show! :cool:

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Heel low:

Year end rumbles down...

Not sure how many opportunities I shall have to post but here is a quick one.

IMGP2647.jpg

Some of the seed tators

Sorting out last year (not the two grey trays, those are the six new varieties) of potatoes to get chitting.

Rain, oh my ... over the top and some got winds that devastated and made messes!

may 24 2017 IMGP2872.jpg

I felt sorry for the earth worms...after the rains finally let up, poor beasts where wriggling everywhere...poor things!

May 23 2017 IMGP2695.jpg

May 23 - Father Robin guarding

May 23 2017 IMGP2707.jpg

May 23 - Mother Robin nesting

Definately safe from most predators...I look down and these two mutts are KILLING each other...yeh, put the run on most other kinds of wildlife...those GIRLS! :p

May 23 2017 IMGP2714.jpg

Crushers...wait a moment and the reverse is true...
Lacy will be pressing Emmy!

Getting geared up for lambing...so EXCITED does not even cover the feeling...excited, scared, worried, happy...how about jest emotional! :hmm

So anyone want confirm or guess different. :ya

May 23 2017 IMGP2768.jpg

May 23 - Peanut and Snickers
Mommas in waiting

I am thinking Peanut two BIG twins or smaller triplets and a big single for Snickers...or a small set of twins... :confused:

Both are developing nice udders and boy oh boy, sure will be happy to unload them babes...Peanut is finding it hard to get up and Snickers...being her usual and won't stop eating...I think she was bred with a "can't feel full" gene in her! All the sheeps were lounging yesterday eve when I went to get them off pasture, but not Snickers...still grazing! Her hair coat is letting go, dorsal line is balding out. :)

May 23 2017 IMGP2774.jpg

Duro almost shed clean...the tuft on her back is now gone, rubbed off
She's gotten rained on and is much whiter too...

Majority of the lawn ornaments are out.

So it is Duck ....

May 23 2017 IMGP2819.jpg

Dog, Duck, Duck and Duck...

May 23 2017 IMGP2829.jpg

Dolgo crabapple is trying to bloom despite the deluge of rains...some years the rains have come and beat the petals right off...I hope it lets up and I can click my annual dogs under flowering Dolgo.

Last click... :lol:

Rick's mother's canary.

may 24 2017 IMGP2871.jpg

His inheritance... :lau

She kept buying Canaries at pet stores that would quit singing...then send them on to her kids to look after so she would go out and buy another one.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Our first Canary Gabby, was a warbler and what a song he had. Also very tame.Used to take bits of ice cream or banana off a finger tip, and would sit on a finger till it felt like it would fall off. Just a real sweetheart.

When he passed the next one, Junior was none of that, very flightly and choppy song, if that's what it was.

PS always good to see Ms.Foamy and the girls playing nicely. :lau

Is the Serama recognized as a breed now? I am not up and up on that chicken biz much having sunk into my own happy joy world more often than naught. :confused:

I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but it is my understanding that the Bantam folks accepted the Serama a few years ago in white only. I haven't heard of any other colors being added, but that doesn't stop the fans of the tiny birds from breeding them in every color and feather type known to birdkind (don't think I've seen 'em with crests, yet, but they do come booted, silkied, frizzled :rolleyes:)

20170526_144730.jpg

This is the other bird - as you can see, she has a lot more black. When BB2K saw her coloring, she named her Cowabunga , or Bungee for short.

I'm pretty sure we have Silver in these birds; we have had Birchens and a couple of white hens with Columbian markings (one such hen I suspect may be their mother). And then there was this dude:
20160326_132024.jpg

Much too big to use as a breeder, but a more personable bird you'll never meet (I think he was checking his tweets in that picture). Am I seeing hints of Pyle showing through on him? His body was sort of a pale cream color, with yellowish neck feathers and a little bit of rusty coloring peeking out on his shoulders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom