July 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

I'm going to set my first eggs in the incubator this weekend. Eeek. Question: I'd like to set some Brahma eggs but they might be a couple days delayed getting here. Is it better to wait until I have them all or start what I get and add some later?

I'm going to set my first eggs in the incubator this weekend. Eeek. Question: I'd like to set some Brahma eggs but they might be a couple days delayed getting here. Is it better to wait until I have them all or start what I get and add some later?
Are you using the same incubator as the hatcher or will you be moving them to a different one at Lockdown?
For me I have one for incubating and one for hatching so I can set eggs at different days without compromising lockdown.

I did my final candling tonight and happy to say the 18 purchased delaware eggs 17 are developing well with movement, one is clear will give it a few more days and toss if still clear.

Of my own eggs, I had to toss 2 more that had a red line and no movement, 1 is still questionable hard to see through the shell. But I have 11 developing and having movement.

Hoping they all make it to hatch but so far I'm eggcited!!!! with the progress.
wee.gif

My 3 Silkie eggs are hatching! I had one unzip and the other two were just pecking at holes in the same place so I unzipped a bit for them. One has the umbilical cord over it's neck... ouch. So I chipped some shell off the other side so I think it will be okay. They all look black or really dark so I am very excited. Can't wait till they're all out!
Good luck!! take pictures pls

I'm starting my 1st hatch this weekend with 6 Easter eggers. So hopefully they will be hatching out the last day of the month:)
All the best!!!

Are you using the same incubator as the hatcher or will you be moving them to a different one at Lockdown?
For me I have one for incubating and one for hatching so I can set eggs at different days without compromising lockdown.
I only have one incubator. I decided to start it Friday night and not add any after that. From what I read it could work, but I've already planned for a lot of eggs. Thanks for the idea. Next time I'll have to try that.

I did my final candling tonight and happy to say the 18 purchased delaware eggs 17 are developing well with movement, one is clear will give it a few more days and toss if still clear.

Of my own eggs, I had to toss 2 more that had a red line and no movement, 1 is still questionable hard to see through the shell. But I have 11 developing and having movement.

Hoping they all make it to hatch but so far I'm eggcited!!!! with the progress.
wee.gif
Awesome!

Well poo, I candled the eggs and had to toss 26 dozen of them. I new there was going to be quite a few but I wasn't expecting this many. The lady I got most of the eggs from had moved all but one rooster out of her pens of 24-36 hens but put them back in after I asked about buying eggs. I did get a great deal for them, only $4 a dozen since there would be a lot of infertiles. That still gives me quite a few to work with.

Quick question. I bought eggs to incubate. As I candled them I noticed some of the shells had some clear spots. I don't think that's a good thing. Am I wrong? They didn't look like there was any development. Also the person. Bought them from.. Should I mention-if the shells are like that, they may need to add something to the feed? I know if I sold eggs like that I would want to know they aren't good quality eggs.

Back
Top Bottom