July 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

Day 10 Candling

Exactly two eggs from each breed were clear, infertile and removed.

Copper Maran: Very hard to candle due to darkness of egg, but was able to discern veins on a total of 8. The remaining seven were labeled with "?" and will continue until at least day 14 candling.

Barred Rock: Three definite winners with good veins and some movement. 9 labeled with "?" and will continue until at least day 14 candling.

Delaware: Lighter colored eggs which made candling easy. 12 winners with good veins and/or movement. Two labeled with (?) and will continue to at least day 14 candling.

Overall a mixed bag. the dark maran eggs are certainly a challenge. Now, with the clears gone from the incubator and a tighter clutch in middle of bator things will incubate more evenly. The still air incubator has held very steady temps at both egg top level and mid-egg level at 102 and 99-100 degrees respectively.

Hope everyone else is doing well and good luck on your hatches.

80 something coturnix hatching Wednesday. Sorry for the terrible picture. They are on the bottom of the incubator in the hatch tray.

I just candled. I have 45 eggs that were placed in the incubator between 72 and 100 hours ago. All 9 of the 100 hour eggs were veining. Of the 72-80 hour eggs: It was difficult to tell on Welsummers and Marans, but I thought I could see a blood island on all of them. The Brahma, Ameraucana, and Legbar eggs were easy to see but not all veining. There was enough going on in each egg that I won't pull any out until Thursday when I check again. That should be ok, right?

Decided to move our girl to a more secure ground level location. She immediately sat on her eggs and acted relaxed and content. I gave her a bit of food today and water. I haven't seen her off the nest except when I took her off to move the eggs.

I know mother nature knows best and that I may not be doing her any favors by feeding her, but darn her comb looks so wilted and awful and she gobbled up the feed and water. She won't do many any good dead! Only six days to go before we should start hearing something!

Today I will be locking down all my eggs, I set some on the 26th and some on the 27th but I will lock all of them today to avoid opening the incubator tomorrow. Very hopeful!!

Decided to move our girl to a more secure ground level location. She immediately sat on her eggs and acted relaxed and content. I gave her a bit of food today and water. I haven't seen her off the nest except when I took her off to move the eggs.

I know mother nature knows best and that I may not be doing her any favors by feeding her, but darn her comb looks so wilted and awful and she gobbled up the feed and water. She won't do many any good dead! Only six days to go before we should start hearing something!
I feed all my broody mamas as much as I can... being broody is hard on them. Some more than others. I am glad she is doing well!

Neat!!! at least you know she has food and water available if she wants.
26/31 well developed going into lockdown on Friday
Great!!!! all the best.

Back
Top Bottom