Lovely! If you raise the back area, they will probably dig pits in the area just before the raise, they probably will not lay eggs on the raised area, mostly my Roos prefer higher areas, to look out and boast from, but the hens like low areas and cover. Mine do not avoid the door area, and there are often eggs there, but I keep the feed and water nearer to the door, for my own convenience, so they probably find themselves near the door often, raising the likelihood of eggs being laid there. Be sure to have a lip that goes 6-8+ inches up from the ground in the doorway, to keep them from wandering or running out the door when you go in and out, I learned this from experience, the grass is always greener as they say, and they will just walk out like they own the place.

It looks beautiful! The one issue that I see is the chicken wire. If you could use 1/2" hardware cloth instead, (the same mesh that you use under the pen), it will keep your quail safer.

The chicken wire isn't predator proof enough, and it's just big enough for quail to get their heads stuck in. Smaller quail can even squeeze through it.
Ahh, not to worry, the chicken wire is actually just the fencing for the garden - the quail aviary sits within that and will be fully lined with the mouse/snake mesh like the floor :) There'll be no chicken wire for the quail!

Lovely! If you raise the back area, they will probably dig pits in the area just before the raise, they probably will not lay eggs on the raised area, mostly my Roos prefer higher areas, to look out and boast from, but the hens like low areas and cover. Mine do not avoid the door area, and there are often eggs there, but I keep the feed and water nearer to the door, for my own convenience, so they probably find themselves near the door often, raising the likelihood of eggs being laid there. Be sure to have a lip that goes 6-8+ inches up from the ground in the doorway, to keep them from wandering or running out the door when you go in and out, I learned this from experience, the grass is always greener as they say, and they will just walk out like they own the place.

Oh they're so funny! I wouldn't mind if they didn't lay towards the back, but I don't want them to totally avoid the whole area.. do you think that will be the case? At the moment it's only about half a foot higher than the lower section, and as the log is rounded it's not a steep step up. I won't have any roos, so if the gals are going to want to stay away from the rise then I might have to rethink it!
Definitely planning to build a lip into the doorway! Don't want the ladies doing a runner!

Ahh, not to worry, the chicken wire is actually just the fencing for the garden - the quail aviary sits within that and will be fully lined with the mouse/snake mesh like the floor :) There'll be no chicken wire for the quail!
That was my thought too when I saw the picture. I couldn't figure out why you'd use the hardware cloth on the bottom and then chicken wire on the sides. Looks like your quail are going to have a very nice home.

Good luck

Oh they're so funny! I wouldn't mind if they didn't lay towards the back, but I don't want them to totally avoid the whole area.. do you think that will be the case? At the moment it's only about half a foot higher than the lower section, and as the log is rounded it's not a steep step up. I won't have any roos, so if the gals are going to want to stay away from the rise then I might have to rethink it!
Definitely planning to build a lip into the doorway! Don't want the ladies doing a runner!
My birds tend to prefer the lower lying areas.

That was my thought too when I saw the picture. I couldn't figure out why you'd use the hardware cloth on the bottom and then chicken wire on the sides. Looks like your quail are going to have a very nice home.

Good luck

Haha, I should have seen that the photo made it look like the chicken wire was on the aviary - so tough to translate things through photos some times! Thanks for the well wishes! :thumbsup

I am with your partner. Why isn’t it a rectangle? :lol:.
Haha, because I am in lockdown and I'm bored! :cool: I actually saw another aviary that was the same shape (although longer) and I liked that I can stand in the doorway in the narrow end and fully take up that space without fear of little quails darting around me and out the door. On the outside of the aviary I'm going to also use the negative space that would have made up the rectangle to plant a little garden so that it can provide some shade with some vines etc.

11C232E3-6DB2-411D-B9C3-508D8ED79F8B.jpeg

This is Bag End. So far home to 4 “hobbit quail” (unsure of their sex) Bilbo, Frodo, Merry and Pippin. It used to be the chicken run but now they have run of the backyard. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom