Jumbo Rock Cornish?

asorensen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Milton, Florida
I saw the White Jumbo Rock Cornish at my feed and seed. I know you have to butcher them at about 8 weeks or they become so large they get crippled so if they never get sexually mature how the heck do they get them in the first place?
hmm.png

Sinple... Hire a team of genetisists, spend years to crossbreed from several selected breeds, select desired characteristics to develop new male and female sprains, crosssbreed the new male and female strains, throw millions of $$$$ over the next 50 years, receive patents, hire a team of lawyers and you are good to go.

Quote:
That I don't know, and I'm guessing you'd have a hard time finding someone who does, unless they have been involved in the development of them. The "recipe" for these birds is a highly protected secret. Like Bossman said, there has been a lot of money spent getting these birds to what they are today.

The original Strain that started development over 60 years ago was Standard White Cornish X Plymouth White Rocks. Over the years Several different breeds have been Submitted into the mix Comonly known as the Cobb bird now days. To achieve these goals. The industry Carefully selected Birds of different traits. Fast growth genes, Large breasts, Yellow skin and shanks,
I will try to explain the best I can. The industry has Put a genetic Lock on there offspring by adding a 4th strain in there breeding program. By doing this they have managed to Place a genetic Block that doesnt allow the offspring to yield True offspring. a Cornish X Rock can be conditioned well enough to live beyond a year life span and you can use these birds to attempt your own Meat bird. as many others have done. I think if you read this thread and study it. Created by Katy and alot of us other Meat bird designers so to speak you just might learn alot about the breeds and complications of making a successful meat bird. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316007

Thank you for your input I appreciate all the help I can get! LOL One more question, I got some dark cornish chicks and a guy locally told me he breeds the dark cornish hens to a white leghorn rooster and gets a bigger breasted meat bird, but another guy suggested breeding the dark cornish hen to a RR Rooster. Any thoughts on those or ideas of a better combination. I want something that will develop well but quickly as well.

Back
Top Bottom