Just a few questions on getting an Olive Egger...

Anna_MN

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Princeton, MN
I just need some things cleared up on Olive Eggers. I have a Cuckoo Maran rooster and 5 Easter Egger hens. If I hatch the eggs from this cross, will the females be Olive Eggers? The only catch is that my birds are from a hatchery; so my next question is- how good will the quality of these birds be? I bet these questions have been asked a thousand times, sorry if I sound like a broken record!

I just need some things cleared up on Olive Eggers. I have a Cuckoo Maran rooster and 5 Easter Egger hens. If I hatch the eggs from this cross, will the females be Olive Eggers? The only catch is that my birds are from a hatchery; so my next question is- how good will the quality of these birds be? I bet these questions have been asked a thousand times, sorry if I sound like a broken record!
if your Easter Egger are laying blue/green eggs there is a big chance your first cross will lay olive eggs, hatchery hens tend to be good layers...

one thing to watch out, your easter eggers may not be pure for the blue egg gene, BUT sinse the blue egg gene and the pea comb gene are linked very close to each other the chances that any hens of that cross that carry or show a pea comb, any of this pea comb hens will lay olive eggs with a chance of 95%+....

how to get dark shade olve eggs? thats easy, use your best olive egger hen and cross it back to your cuckoo maran rooster, just keep the hens with the pea combs... you can repeat this as many time as you like

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom