Just finished my broody coop! Pictures!

krcote

Songster
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Concord, NH
I just posted these pics in the Old Fashioned Broody Info thread and decided to give everyone a look-see in the coops section. I've got a broody Speckled Sussex sitting on 7 Welsummer eggs from Ruth, a fellow BYCer
smile.png
I JUST finished her broody coop and popped her in it. She is a little dazed and confused but seems to like her new digs. I built it with all reclaimed/recycled wood and shingles. I bought the hardware cloth, handles, hinges and eye hooks. The size of the run is based on what hardware cloth I had left from the big coop project last year. I started yesterday, while my husband was at work. When he came home and saw what I was working on, he started checking all my angles to see how square it was turning out! I wanted to punch him in the nose! I am inside taking a break, building that low to the ground is rough on the back!

DSCF2059.jpg

Here she sits, right next to the rest of the flock in their run. I can see everyone from my dining room window.
DSCF2060.jpg

Roof comes completely off for easy cleaning of the coop. The top of the run hinges open for easy access.
DSCF2071.jpg

Handles on front and back for easy transport.
DSCF2063.jpg

Fresh and clean before broody-poops!
DSCF2066.jpg

I am so excited for the babies to hatch! I am hoping for at least 2.
DSCF2068.jpg

This is the old gal herself, Grumpy Chicken getting comfortable.
DSCF2073.jpg

And finally, the view from the flock's perspective. Don't mind my ratty looking girls, they are mid-molt.

Thanks for having a look, wish us luck!

Last edited:
What a great job! I'm really impressed! I'm going to help my hubby build our second coop and maybe I'll learn a little about building. This is really nice! Wish I could get my hen to stay in her broody box

CourtneyBrooke* :

I loooove this! Hubby is going to have to build me one when my girls finally reach that age lol! Great pics:yiipchick

OR you could try building it yourself like me! I have ZERO skills and made it up as I went along. It may not be fancy, but it's solid! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Yes I will have to start getting handy and fixing my own stuff, that could only mean more chickens for meee cause I think my hubby takes his time on purpose lol
lau.gif

CourtneyBrooke* :

Quote:
Yes I will have to start getting handy and fixing my own stuff, that could only mean more chickens for meee cause I think my hubby takes his time on purpose lol
lau.gif

This is precisely the reason I got building on my own
lol.png
When I want things done, there is not a moment to spare!​

Thanks so much!
I just went out and checked on her, she is doing her job in her new home! I'm so proud of her!

Back
Top Bottom