Just hatched. Not looking great.

TunaMooCookieChallah

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2024
IMG_6015.jpeg

Well, we have a very proficient little duckling. Unfortunately, she/he did a little too good and popped her head out before the yolk fully absorbed- I didn’t know this was even a thing! I took some advice I saw on other posts and put the duckling in a small cup with a cloth. Browsing through posts though, it doesn’t look like this has ended well in the past. Fingers crossed it does well. Really appreciating all the knowledge I’ve come upon from people on here. Never too late to learn something! Send happy yolk absorbing vibes this tiny one’s way! A positive is it’s moving, opening its eyes, and peeping!

With my call ducks I help them and they almost always pop their heads out before they are ready to hatch I wouldn't worry to much but good idea with the cup
Hope your baby survives keep us posted please

Fingers crossed!!! Is a lot of yolk unabsorbed?
It’s a substantial amount. I tried to get it in and out of the incubator as quickly as possible so it wasn’t too exposed. I’ll try to get a picture through the cover, but it’s snuggled and sleeping. I’m looking in periodically to make sure the poor thing is still breathing. Hoping the sounds of its siblings motivate it to hang on!

Just keep it on a clean soft cloth or paper towels till absorb. And this way none of the other ducklings can accidentally ruptured it or the duckling snag it on something.

Poor sweet baby didn’t make it. I think her foot snagged the yolk sac because there was blood this morning on her toenail and the sack was ruptured. I thought I had her compact enough that it wouldn’t happen. My other thought is she accidentally suffocated on the cloth. I just buried her under a tree by our pond. I know these things happen, but I am always devastated when they do. She’s with her aunts and uncles who have passed now. I have one duck halfway out and one egg set to go into lockdown tomorrow. Hopefully, my girl still has a shot at being a momma. Thanks for all your advice and support ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_6028.jpeg
    IMG_6028.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom