Keeping 2 bantams warm in winter

Henny Penney

Songster
14 Years
May 2, 2008
wet side of WA, Olympic Peninsula
I know there are many threads about chickens and winter, BUT what to do with just 2 little bantams? I raised bantams almost 50 yrs, after 6 years without, we recently acquired a pair (adult bantams are hard to find, at least in WA). We don’t have super cold winters, but temperatures are predicted to go into low 20s and teens. Bantams are hardy, I didnt worry (much) when I had a little flock…..but how do 2 keep warm? I considered putting them in a cage inside a building. Their coop is dry, lots of straw.

I know there are many threads about chickens and winter, BUT what to do with just 2 little bantams? I raised bantams almost 50 yrs, after 6 years without, we recently acquired a pair (adult bantams are hard to find, at least in WA). We don’t have super cold winters, but temperatures are predicted to go into low 20s and teens. Bantams are hardy, I didnt worry (much) when I had a little flock…..but how do 2 keep warm? I considered putting them in a cage inside a building. Their coop is dry, lots of straw.
I think they should be just fine, as long as they have access to water (you'll need a heated waterer), plenty of food, fresh bedding, a coop free of drafts but with plenty of ventilation, and perches so they can cover their feet with their breast feathers.
I have a few bantams too and they really are tough little birds. We've been in single digits here for a number of days and getting down around 0 at night.
Mine are all doing just fine.

I think they should be just fine, as long as they have access to water (you'll need a heated waterer), plenty of food, fresh bedding, a coop free of drafts but with plenty of ventilation, and perches so they can cover their feet with their breast feathers.
I have a few bantams too and they really are tough little birds. We've been in single digits here for a number of days and getting down around 0 at night.
Mine are all doing just fine.
Thanks for the assurance, and yes bantams are tough little birds! They did do fine, I was worried about his comb 2 nights and they were in a cage in a cool office just over night, not happy about it but did ok, otherwise they just did what they do In their pen and house.

Back
Top Bottom