Keeping chickens after a liver transplant

JimnRuth

Songster
5 Years
Nov 19, 2018
West Georgia
My honey bunny has just had a liver transplant. She is doing well. But the issue is the doctors have recommended that we get rid of our chickens. This is due to any disease from animal feces as she will be on immune suppression for the rest of her life. I'm bummed as I so enjoy having them, watching them devour leftovers, run out of the coop when I open the gate, and of course lots of fresh eggs. I'll make all sorts of egg dishes, especially my egg scramble with bacon sausage onion pepper cheese etc, and don't want to go back to store bought eggs. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I was thinking I could fence in an area in the back and just keep them there if that's far enough away from the house and she'll just have to avoid that area. She's more important than the chickens, but I'm so used to having them. Ideas?

Is there a way to keep them far enough away that your honey doesn't have to pass through the area? She can wear an n95 if she does closer chicken visits for pleasure? If this is possible, maybe you can do both. Definitely she should stay away from any dust/feces as lots of things can be in dust that can spike fevers in immune compromised folks.

Hope everything is going to be okay for your honey.

About the chickens .. I have no experience dealing with something like that. But if you decide to keep the chickens I would take all possible precautions. Disinfect. Special shoes at the gate…

She's more important than the chickens, but I'm so used to having them. Ideas?
Personally, I'd be more worried about cold and flu season than the chickens. I've read that 80% of your immune system is in your gut. Cultured foods are a great way to keep your gut healthy.
I think that provided that you follow regular cleanliness, you will be alright.
Sweet that you are willing to do whatever it takes.

Congratulations to your wife on her liver transplant! ❤️ My first husband was immunocompromised following a bone marrow transplant for chronic myelogenous leukemia back in 1993. I just think ... I wonder how you would feel if you kept the chickens and, in spite of your best efforts, your wife were to get an infection from them ... and it cost her her life. I remember that my DH was told not to be around any infants that had received a live polio vaccine ... or children with chicken pox. We had to be so careful, especially for that first year after his transplant. A liver transplant is a big deal. Your wife has been through a lot. She's trusting you to keep her safe. I can't advise you what to do. But I just think, you can't go wrong taking your doctors' advice.

Back
Top Bottom