Keeping in Texas garage?

Mdavchicks

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
Hi all! When I first got chicks two years ago I kept them in my house and I told myself I was never doing that again (the dust!). I’m in north Texas and our temps range from high 70s at night to high 80s/low 90s during peak of the day. I took temps thought the day in the garage and this is what it will be for the next 3 weeks or so. I plan to move them out to our coop in their brooder to slowly integrate them with the adult chickens. They’ll have a brooder plate for at night if they need it while in the garage. Are these temps okay? Should they have a fan? I assume chicks are more susceptible to overheating so I just want to make sure this is okay :)

8am- 77

11am- 78

12pm- 79

1pm- 79

2pm- 80

3pm- 82

4pm-84

6pm- 86

7pm- 84

8pm-82

9pm-80

They’ll have a brooder plate for at night if they need it while in the garage. Are these temps okay?
With that heat source they could handle much colder temperatures than that straight out of the incubator or from the post office. Those temperatures are fine since you have a heat source for them.

Should they have a fan? I assume chicks are more susceptible to overheating so I just want to make sure this is okay
You probably read something on this forum that has you concerned. We often say things like the chicks "can handle" certain lower temperatures. That does not mean they require lower temperatures.

Broody hens regularly raise chicks in temperatures higher than that with no way to cool them off other than finding shade for them. Chicks and older chickens will do fine in those temperatures. What I'd expect is that within a week or two they will totally stop using the heat plate. They won't need it. It will not hurt anything to leave it in the brooder just don't be surprised if it is not used fairly soon. I see no reason for a fan with those temperatures.

With that heat source they could handle much colder temperatures than that straight out of the incubator or from the post office. Those temperatures are fine since you have a heat source for them.

You probably read something on this forum that has you concerned. We often say things like the chicks "can handle" certain lower temperatures. That does not mean they require lower temperatures.

Broody hens regularly raise chicks in temperatures higher than that with no way to cool them off other than finding shade for them. Chicks and older chickens will do fine in those temperatures. What I'd expect is that within a week or two they will totally stop using the heat plate. They won't need it. It will not hurt anything to leave it in the brooder just don't be surprised if it is not used fairly soon. I see no reason for a fan with those temperatures.
Great! Thank you so much for your reply! Puts my chick momma heart at ease.

Back
Top Bottom