Keeping mallards with chickens--health concern???

TBirdsTheWord33

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Kentucky
I am new to keeping poultry and could really use some advice. Out in the coop, we have 5 chickens and 6 ducks, and indoors, we have 22 chicks brooding in our "chick room." We have a pretty good setup for the older birds: a large milk house-turned-coop and a 6000+ sq. ft. outdoor run enclosed with electrified chicken netting.

Here is my concern: Though our 3 mallards are not yet flying, I believe they will be soon. We live just minutes from a large state-owned wildlife reserve that is well known for attracting a huge quantity and variety of migrating water fowl. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I am highly concerned about the possibility of our mallards flying over to the wildlife area, mingling with the water fowl, then flying back home and spreading diseases to the rest of our flock.

As mentioned, I am new to this and have MUCH to learn, and I DO realize that under the circumstances, getting mallards was a lapse in judgment. This was a potential problem I thought of early on, but I tried to push it aside because my husband really wanted mallards.

That being said, we are willing to rehome the mallards if it's in the best interest of our flock to do so, but I just want to know if that's our best option before we make a final decision. Any advice and insight would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

What I would do is actually clip the mallard's wings. They'll fly away, but they won't know to come back, and not being raised in the wild, they won't know how to find food and will potentially starve to death. There is also the possibility that they would somehow manage to make their way back to your place and as you said, that would be a disease issue. So wing clipping is your best bet, or if you could keep them in a covered run that would work too. If you clip them only do one wing, and only do the primary flight feathers. This makes them off balance and keeps them from flying. This is a good diagram that shows the feathers to cut.

Pyxis, thank you so much for your help. The diagram you attached is perfect. We will plan to clip their wings tomorrow morning. When we visited them this evening, one of the girls flew a little bit...they're getting CLOSE! My husband especially thanks you because he's now able to keep his beloved ducks.

You're welcome! You're gonna have to stay on top of it and make sure you clip them after every molt - just be sure not to get any blood feathers or they will bleed. It's a good idea to have some flour or cornstarch near when you clip them so if you accidentally get a blood feather you can stop the bleeding.

We clipped all 3 mallards this morning, and success...not a drop of blood! The only problem is, they now hate us more than ever, so winning them over will be a challenge.

Pyxis, I'm excited to hear that you breed ayam cemanis and cream legbars. We have one legbar (she's not laying yet, but I'm anticipating those lovey blue eggs), and the ayam cemani is one of several breeds on my family's wish list. They are stunning birds, just a bit out of our price range at this time! I wish you the best with your breeding program, and I thank you again for taking the time to help me.

Thanks! The cemanis gave me a run for it this morning. The rooster and one hen escaped the coop and I went on a fine chase getting them back in. I had to enlist the other chickens to help. Silly things, it's a nice day and they want to be out, but not when I'm going to work! Last thing I need is to lose one to a hawk.

Good news about the mallards and getting them clipped! You might be able to win them back over by offering treats. Try live mealworms, they go nuts for them.

Last edited:
I was going through my subscriptions and realized that I got sidetracked and never responded to you. I am so sorry! Thanks to you, our mallards are fat and happy and are still on their first wing clipping. WOW, I sure do know what it's like trying to keep the birds IN when all they want to do is get OUT! If you even dare to tiptoe by the coop while they're shut in, ours hear you and RAISE CAIN! It has a sort of horror-film creepiness to it. The other day, my daughter tried valiantly to block the door as she slipped in to fill the feeder and waterer, and they MOWED her down! She described it as getting hit by a tidal wave of birds. Some flew out; others ran. Poor thing, 1 vs. 31 really is unfair odds. What can I say, our birds really enjoy free ranging!

I was going through my subscriptions and realized that I got sidetracked and never responded to you. I am so sorry! Thanks to you, our mallards are fat and happy and are still on their first wing clipping. WOW, I sure do know what it's like trying to keep the birds IN when all they want to do is get OUT! If you even dare to tiptoe by the coop while they're shut in, ours hear you and RAISE CAIN! It has a sort of horror-film creepiness to it. The other day, my daughter tried valiantly to block the door as she slipped in to fill the feeder and waterer, and they MOWED her down! She described it as getting hit by a tidal wave of birds. Some flew out; others ran. Poor thing, 1 vs. 31 really is unfair odds. What can I say, our birds really enjoy free ranging!

Back
Top Bottom