Keeping ringneck doves with Bobs

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
I know it has been brought up before but I can't find it. I know that mixing species is generally not a good idea, and I'm sure I'll catch some flack but... In an 80sqft pen would 1 pair of ringneck doves and a colony of 30 bobs be ok? The bobs would be out during breeding season.

Last edited:
Never had the ringneck doves, but MY bobs destroy anything else in the same pen with them. I wouldn't do it.

I would think the bobs would attack the doves? I am unsure though. Bobs can be vicious. Now if you want a quail with doves, button quail or coturnix are great ground dwellers
big_smile.png

Well I kind of want a backyard "music box" some day. The bobs talking and doves cooing, you know... I just didn't know if the bobs would try to get at a pair of doves on a roost almost 6' high. I will be able to figure something out to where I can seperate them so no worries. If I was going to do it your way, Quaillady, I'd probably do buttons and diamond doves but, in general I think the diamond doves are ugly and I don't really want to mess with an indoor "aviary". I few cots would be fine and I generally brood in the house because I havn't had a choice, but I'd rather keep the birds outside so I can enjoy them more and keep up less.

I've got 2 Ringneck Doves, 2 Quail and my 8 LF Cochin juvies in the same huge covered pen. They've been together several months and do excellent together. Doves and Quail are a good match for the reasons you mentioned. My Doves are seldom on the ground and certainly have no use for the busy body Quail.

Quote:
But there's a huge difference between coturnix and bobwhites... Bobwhites will KILL anything else in the pen with them. Coturnix could care less, and would probably be fine with just about anything.

Oops, my mistake. I didn't read close enough to see they were Bobwhites.
Wow, they're really that aggressive??

Quote:
Ringnecks are sweet mellow birds for the most part. Maybe others have birds that stay up high, but mine didn't.

They loved to be on the ground. My aviary has sand floor, bird seed grows, I had a mist system, and the doves loved to be on the ground. Bobs are fast on the ground, and it wouldn't take much for one to attack a dove on the ground.

I would never chance it and mix the 2.

My experience with Bobs was that they were mean, and had they're own pen.

My doves got along beautifully with my Coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom