Keeping the neighbor's chickens out of my yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for some advice. My neighbor has chickens that year after year continue to come into my yard. Year after year (several times per year) I am over there telling them about the chickens and that I NEVER ever want them to come into my yard...and year after year they continue to do so. One year, my dog got extremely sick and after a $1000 vet bill, we finally figured out he must have been eating/licking his paws that had chicken poop on it. I went over there again, to explain this to them...but, guess what....they continued to come over! Our city does have a chicken ordinance that clearly states you can only have 4 chickens and that they have to be in a chicken coop and or fenced in area at all times, but either they don't know about it or they just don't care. I want to be neighborly and not cause any problems. I have even considered getting a fence, but at a cost of around $10,000 to fence in my back yard, that will not happen. Any helpful suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is call the cops, but I am not sure what to do. I thought about calling the Humane Society to see if they would do something.

You can probably get a chicken-proof fence a lot cheaper than that.

Bird netting or deer netting or chicken wire would be enough to stop the chickens walking through. Those don't require very big posts, either.

Do not put a board at the top to support the netting: the chickens will probably fly up and sit on the board, then come down into your yard.

If you leave the netting floppy at the top, then the chickens will probably NOT come over it.

Chickens usually don't think to fly "over" something. They usually fly "to" a thing (like the top of the fence) and then "to" another thing (like the ground in your yard.)

If you cannot arrange some kind of a fence, you could try a sprinkler with a motion sensor: chickens usually do not like to be squirted with water.

Humane Society might do something, I'm not sure. I can see why you would leave the cops as the last resort.

Maybe offer to build a chicken pen on their property? Potentially cheaper than fencing your own yard, but would not help unless they kept the chickens IN the pen.
This is crazy. I would not be concerned with what your neighbors think of you as they obviously have no respect for you currently. Report them to the ordinance people or rehome them.

I have a feeling she will try and put one right on my lot line.

The chicken coop and fence also have to be a certain number of yards on the owner's property and away from neighbors lot line.

Most people put fences at the lot lines. I suppose your problem is that this will be a chicken fence, which is supposed to be distant from the line?

We had stray dogs come into our yard. They were friendly, sweet actually. But after 4 visits, Animal protection showed up. The lady was helpful. She was called by another neighbor and had pu the animals and fined the family before. She told me to call if they were free again. I did. Unfortunately, they were smart animals who could open the screen door on warm summer nights. Escape and wonder. They showed up at 3 am and my dogs were barking to go out. I did not could not see them. A dog fight ensued. Thankfully, I had contacted animal control...police were involved and it was horrible. Sad. But that is what animal control is for. If nothing else they may be what your neighbor needs to take it more seriously.

I am looking for some advice. My neighbor has chickens that year after year continue to come into my yard. Year after year (several times per year) I am over there telling them about the chickens and that I NEVER ever want them to come into my yard...and year after year they continue to do so. One year, my dog got extremely sick and after a $1000 vet bill, we finally figured out he must have been eating/licking his paws that had chicken poop on it. I went over there again, to explain this to them...but, guess what....they continued to come over! Our city does have a chicken ordinance that clearly states you can only have 4 chickens and that they have to be in a chicken coop and or fenced in area at all times, but either they don't know about it or they just don't care. I want to be neighborly and not cause any problems. I have even considered getting a fence, but at a cost of around $10,000 to fence in my back yard, that will not happen. Any helpful suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is call the cops, but I am not sure what to do. I thought about calling the Humane Society to see if they would do something.
Call the police.

What do you mean put a fence on the lot line? That's where fences go, right?
Is she supposed to just give away part of her yard because you told her to put up a fence and now you don't like the way she is doing it?
It's the neighbor's problem and job to keep the chickens in. It's going to be the neighbor's fence. It's going to be on the neighbor's property.

If I put a fence up, I put it on my side of the line. If the neighbor tried to encroach with a fence, I would hope they would put it on their side. I have seen double fenced backyards before. One on each side of the property line.. ugly chainlink and nice wood.

I'm afraid I would have to take a creative approach. Why not fix up a cozy little nest box in your yard where the hens will be sure to see it... something that will blend in with it's surroundings? 'Seed" it with a couple eggs to be sure they
ll get the idea. Even a box around 14" x 14" with a bit of straw or even dried grass clippings would do. Your neighbors will tire of you getting all the fresh eggs while they are paying for all the chicken feed. It may be inconvenient for awhile but you will surely enjoy the eggs and I'm betting they make more of an effort to keep the girls at home.
I found this photo on the Abundant Permaculture site. It shows a perfect cardboard nesting box. Cheap & easy.

Attachments

• cardboard nesting box.jpg
    cardboard nesting box.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom