KFC chicken update (PICS)

Norman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Ontario
Here is "Norman" aka "The Colonel" before and after pics. This is the guy who was found on the side of the road (probably fell from a KFC truck) in february in feezing rain. He is actually now startng to crow, albeit a pathetic excuse for a cock-a-doodle-doo.

Day 1: Rescued from hell
IMG_1350.jpg

Few weeks later: All cleaned up and standing like a big boy!
n898280297_2332859_9890.jpg

Considering fried chicken for dinner JK lol
wink.png

IMG_1521.jpg

Today: 6mos later
100_1325.jpg

Fat and lazy but I still manage to waddle out of the barn every morning to crow like a real rooster and dig in the dirt
100_1320.jpg

Last edited:
What a difference. You were so lucky to find him and kind to care for him! Reminds me of the 5 Cornish Crosses I have roaming the yard now. They are spoiled rotten!! You are doing a great job!!

His wing to body proportion is hilarious!
gig.gif
Does he flap his wings before he crows? If he does, I'm sure that's a funny site! Awsome rescue!
yippiechickie.gif

Blessings,
Amy J.

What a handsome boy! I love the picture of him in the roaster
lol.png
I can't show that to my husband or he will start to get ideas about our chickens....even more than he already does!

clap.gif
Good for you for rescuing him. I have never kept my meat chickens for longer than 8 weeks (they end up in the freezer here). I have always wondered how they get around on those legs after they are 8 weeks old. Glad to see that his heart is holding out for you, they are known for heart and leg problems.
wee.gif

It's the eyes that got to me. He looks like he's given up in the first picture, and now he looks like he's ready to take on the world (even if he's too fat to!).

You know, I still eat chicken, but more and more it bothers my conscience. When I see pictures like this, it's obvious to me that these animals have a spirit, and that they're capable of having feelings. I never thought of chickens like that until I owned them.

What a nice thing you did. I'm glad you didn't eat him!

It is definately much easier to eat the ones that you raise and dont get attached to. It is very hard for us to eat the ones that are our pets. We raise cornish X every year for meat and we know to feed and water them and take care of their needs and not to get to close.

I can eat my own raised chickens but cant really stomach store bought, they have had a rough life and kept in horrible conditions.

I echo what was said about the expression in his eyes. In the first picture he looks like the picture of misery, even if you only look at his eyes. In the recent close up of his head he looks feisty! Maybe even a touch ornery. It looks like the one that fell off the truck was the one that lucked out.

A few weeks ago I was discussing with my mother what the plans for my rooster chick were. I said that I would give it to her to eat if she wanted (this was before I found a friend that would take him to "diversify the genetics of her flock", meaning have fun with her hens!). She said she could never eat one of my pets. She totally didn't get that I was a lot more okay with her eating my happily raised roo then the factory raised ones. Maybe I should show her that first picture to explain why.

Anyway, cudos to you for giving that rooster some good time in life. You are a hero.

Back
Top Bottom