Killer Guineas?

namreknat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 21, 2008
N.W. Oklahoma
This is my first post although I have been lurking for a good while. This is a wonderful source of info,and I thank everyone for all of your thoughts and good ideas.
I started my flock 5 months ago,and have had pretty good luck so far. My question is; do any of you have guineas that exhibit very agressive behavior? My 11 guineas single out 1 or 2 of their own and attack them; and I can't let the chickens freerange anymore or they will attack them. So the guineas freerange 100% and I have to keep the chickens in their coop or run. I realize that my only solution may be "guinea pie" but I wondered if anyone else has had similar behavior from guineas? Other than this problem, I kind of like having the guineas around.

Thanks

welcome-byc.gif

Hummmm. I have never really heard of a killing guinea. Usually they are so dumb it takes the whole bunch to make one brain.

Do you by any chance have different colors in your bunch of guinea. Also, are these the "french" version of the guinea world ??

My guinea are about as big as a big leghorn hen and they are ALWAYS in the group and I never have a problem with them.

Guineas can indeed be very aggressive to each other as well as to any other fowl around them.

I had some for years that I finally gave away because they were brutal.

My uncle, who lives beside me has two. They will disappear. I'm 100% sure of that. They are not aggressive toward my hens but any rooster they see catches hell.

It could be the nature of just one or two of the ones you have.
Baked guinea is pretty darm good I hear.

Todd

My guineas are the standard size. (not french) They are a variety of colors; white,pearl,and lavender. The one that seems to get the most abuse is a lavender (male I think). One of my leghorn pullets got out the other evening and I had to rescue her when about 6 of the guineas got her cornered and had her down. The guineas and leghorns were raised from day old chicks together and got along fine for about 3 months.

Guineas can be very aggressive to other animals. If they decide they don't like another bird (any species even their own) they are merciless and will attack until they eventually kill it. They often go after my big turkeys 10 times their size. The are odd creatures to say the least.

I thank all of you for your replies. Since I would like to freerange
my chickens; I guess I will start looking for guinea recipies.

Thanks,
Mike

yup! we just got through with that too..
The guineas singled out Sweety, on of our roos, that was in a totally different pen. They jumped the fence and went after him. 1 week later, there was a huge party to end 9 of em. lol 2 went yesterday to a new home. Where there's horses to hopefully change thier attitude.

We just had to find a new home for our last male Guinea. he was beating the hell out of our only Roo.
He living with 5 females now. Maybe he had some pent up frustration.
I couldn't eat him though.
sad.png

Good Luck.

th.gif
How sad.

My guinea's were hatched out by two of my chickens, so they love the chickens... they follow various hens around now - not even their "mothers", but they seem to "attach" to one hen at the beginning of the day or something and follow her around...
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom