Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
we are raising 10 Cornish that are alittle over 7 weeks.. Last week I noticed one was limping and told hubby we may need to process that one early.. Sure enough two days later I found it in the corner unable to walk... Didn't take us very long and the end result was better than I expected.. Processed weight was alittle over 3.5 pounds..

Allowed it to rest in the refrigerator for three days and baked it up last night with spices and BBQ sauce... we were so impressed with not only the color but the flavor of the meat... we are hooked, we had thought we would do a more dual purpose breed for butchering but after last night changed our minds.. Lots of meat on these babies... we have 9 more out there and are considering processing them early as we are going to have company for two weeks (my momma) and didn't want to try and process with her here... Does a week or two make that much difference? Should I just hold off and send her out that day??? Other than the skin there wasn't a lot of fat on this one, but the meat was nice and pearly white (breast meat) and the skin was a shiny whitish/pink... we got these ten for free so thought we would try and see which we liked better (dual purpose or Cornish) Hands down, for eating...Cornish!!

See my post above...2 weeks can make a huge difference in weight. I ended up with 1.5 to 2.5 lbs difference between my first 2 and the last 2 I processed. Nice job on this one. One of the problems with cornish X is they can be prone to leg problems due to the massive weight compared to more standard breeds. I sort of felt like it would have been cruel to wait any longer to process mine. Were yours Cornish or Cornish Crosses?

See my post above...2 weeks can make a huge difference in weight. I ended up with 1.5 to 2.5 lbs difference between my first 2 and the last 2 I processed. Nice job on this one. One of the problems with cornish X is they can be prone to leg problems due to the massive weight compared to more standard breeds. I sort of felt like it would have been cruel to wait any longer to process mine. Were yours Cornish or Cornish Crosses?

The receipt says Cornish Cross.....

There are a couple of the males that are a lot bigger than the others, I doubt we allow them to much more time.. I allow them free range status from noon til dark... So they are used to being able to be out and about, I just could stand to watch them hunker down in their own filth all the time and they do seem to love the grass and finding bugs and such...

After looking thru some of the photo's we are defently waiting, the one we processed the other day had absolutely no fat and it wasn't near as big... Mom just gonna have to either be ok with it or go visit someone :)

Quote:
The Cornish cross are the same kind I raise for meat. They get so much bigger than they dual purpose breeds. Straight Cornish are meat birds too, but not as big and meaty as the crosses. That 2 weeks made a difference in the fat layer on mine too. only a small mount on the first 2 and a pretty good layer on the last 2. The cockerels were bigger looking when I processed the first 2 and they ere the ones I did first. But the 2 hens were way bigger than the boys had been by the time I processed them.

I just joined here to tell ya thanks. Jus finished up with my first rooster, and it went well thanks to the detail you put into this thread...thanks.

This is one of the best culling/prep tutorials I've seen yet! As someone who will be culling for the first time this has given me a lot of info and the pics are an immense help in preparing me! I do have an odd question though, I would like to use the feathers from the birds I cull for some crafting projects do the feathers dry out and look the same or will they be too damaged after words (a good majority of these projects would be jewelry/cosplay ones)

If you want to use the feathers I would pluck some dry for that use before dunking them in the hot water.

Okay :) I've been trying to find out if they'd still be usable for nearly two weeks now but couldn't find anything anywhere! Some of my birds that I'll be culling have gorgeous feathers and I don't want them to just be wasted if they would still be useful. Plus I want to use as much of the bird as I can!

Back
Top Bottom