Kindly tell me if my chicken's eggs are fertilised or not

Aayan Mirza

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2017
Hi, I have an Aseel hen paired with a non-Aseel, mix breed rooster. Aseel tails, that of hens to be specific, are not erect like those of most other breeds, and so when my rooster mates with her, the tail remains downward facing.

I wonder if my rooster is going about his business correctly. I have a plan of getting some chicks out when my hen goes broody, and so I am collecting eggs for that already.

But I am not really sure if the eggs are even fertilised or not, and that whether my egg collection practice for the chick purpose would bear any fruits (or chicks in this case), or not.

So kindly help me identify if this egg is fertilised or not. If not, how different would a fertilised egg look from this one, and what shoud I look for in an egg to identify the fertility. I have read about the bullseye thing, but haven't ever been able to identify it with surety.

Thanks.

Here are the pictures.

20171217_145210.jpg

20171217_145217.jpg

The last picture is in comparison with normal, store bought egg.
20171217_145415.jpg

It is difficult to say because the white dot is so small, but when I try to enlarge the pictures it does not look like they are fertile.

Just keep cracking them open and looking! Sooner or later you should see one that looks like a bullseye and you will realize the difference.

If you can get your hands on an incubator you can just set them for one week and see if they start to develope.

Also, there probably is no need to start collecting eggs until your hen goes broody- no telling when or if she ever will!

It is difficult to say because the white dot is so small, but when I try to enlarge the pictures it does not look like they are fertile.

Just keep cracking them open and looking! Sooner or later you should see one that looks like a bullseye and you will realize the difference.

If you can get your hands on an incubator you can just set them for one week and see if they start to develope.

Also, there probably is no need to start collecting eggs until your hen goes broody- no telling when or if she ever will!

Oh okay, thanks for the help. There was no bullseye in it. I guess it would be infertile then.

Yeah I hope so, the problem is that I don't think she is being mounted right. Her tail is pretty straight or downward sloping. It happened with her the last time as well, she laid eggs, went broody, and nothing developed even after 10 days.

She lays about 15 eggs and goes broody, there is a pretty set pattern, so I just keep the latest 6 for hatching. Laid her 15th last evening, but haven't gone broody yet. So, let's see.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Looks like they are fertile but not so sure
Put them into the incubator for the confirmation for few days

A brooder would have certainly made life easier, but I don't have one at the moment unfortunately. Thanks for the help. I guess I would have to crack and check for now.

Eggs one and two are fertile. Eggs no 3 & 4 are not. it does look like you have an overhead reflection on the surface of the yoke of eggs #3 & #4 don't let that fool you.

It's the same egg in picture one and two, in three it's still the same, only in comparison with a store bought egg. The more palish yellow one is the store bought egg.

Back
Top Bottom