Knit Caps w/Ear Flaps?

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
A few people on the Tennis team here was wondering if we could get some hats because most of our season takes place before the last frost. I've been telling the coach how we need hats because 60% of your body heats lost threw your head. However we dont have a lot of funding.
hmm.png
Does anyone on here make Knit Caps with Ear Flaps? Maybe you could show me how to add flaps to regular hats - the kind i can make on those round things? Or Maybe sell me a few? The guys weren't half as excited as the girls were
roll.png

I do not know how, but I am posting so that when the wonderful person who DOES know how posts, I will learn how too.
smile.png

My son keeps begging for one with flaps. I thought about making the flaps separate and then adding them by sewing them on, but if I could figure out how to loom them into the brim, it would look neater. I even thought that a lower back brim might be more comfortable too.
I have spent many a day trying to navigate you tube, but I am not all that patient with my server and click too many times in frustration...which makes it more frustrating.
But you being young and patient may be able to find what ye seek there.
good luck!

There's a bunch of free patterns on any yarn website (Lion Brand, Paton's, etc) as well as www.Ravelry.com. I found this one on the Lion Brand website (Pattern #: 40534K). You could use hats you already have and knit the heart earflaps, then just sew them on the hats. Here are the directions for the earflaps. Ignore "CC1" and "CC2". That means contrasting colors. This calls for US size 10.5 needles but you could use a 10 or 11 if you can't find 10.5. I don't check BYC often but I'd be happy to help you with the instructions. Feel free to email me if you need help. Good luck!

HEART EARFLAP – Make 2
Using yarn from inside of ball, with CC1 and larger needles, cast on 3 sts. Using yarn from outside of ball, cast on 3 more sts onto the same needle – 6 sts. **NOTE: MY YARN ALWAYS TANGLES SO I'D USE TWO SEPARATE BALLS**
Row 1 (RS) *[K 1, M1] 2 times, k 1; repeat from * on second set of sts – 5 sts each side.
Row 2 and all WS rows Purl.
Row 3 *K 1, M1, k to last st, M1, k 1; repeat from * on second set of sts – 7 sts each side.
Row 5 (join sides of heart) K 1, M1, k 5, k2tog, k 5, M1, k 1 – 15 sts. Cut 2nd yarn.
Row 7 and all RS rows through Row 15 K 1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k 1 (2 sts decreased each row) – 5 sts remain after Row 15.
Row 17 K 1, slip 1, k2tog, psso, k 1 – 3 sts.
Row 19 Slip 1, k2tog, psso – 1 st.

Fasten off. Weave in ends.
FINISHING
With CC2 and large-eyed, blunt needle, work blanket st around edges of Heart Earflaps. Sew Hearts to sides of Hat with top of Heart sewn to edge of Hat and bottom of Heart dangling down below the brim.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom