Ko Shamo vs Bantam Shamo

LeBlackbird

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
SE Pennsylvania
Hey guys! New topic for tonight. I've been doing a lot of research lately on game breeds. I absolutely love how interesting and intimidating the asian game birds look and I came across both Ko Shamo and Bantam Shamo. I know that Ko Shamo are considered a true bantam and a different breed, while bantam shamo are the miniatures of LF Shamo. From this point, the only differences that have been brought to my attention are the split wing and shrimp tail in Ko Shamo? Are there any other differences? (Physical or Behavioral) Is one easier to keep/breed over the other?
Thanks, Blackbird

Ko should have more of a cushion/walnut type comb, will have a proportionately larger head, shorter, heavier beak, often heavier muscled, much shorter tail, probably more differences than that, but that's good for now. Details of raising the 2 will be mostly similar. It will come down to which you like more, and what you want to do with them. If you are in SE PA contact Will Roberts, he has good quality in both breeds and is an honest guy .

Thank you
smile.png
In a way, Ko shamo almost remind me of cornish in how broad and muscled they are. I did contact someone and he sent me along pictures of his stock (which look great!), and he's practically sitting on top of me. Where is Will Roberts located at? Is he a member on here? Thanks again
big_smile.png

Will is not a member. I think he lives in more or less northeastern or central eastern PA. If you got pictures of bantam shamo or ko from somebody in PA chances are good they trace back to Will somehow anyway. I know or know of at least 3 other guys in the Eastern section of PA with those birds, and all are good guys with solid reputations.

Awesome, thanks
smile.png
Have you shown your birds yet? How well do they show? I actually don't know if Ko Shamo are an accepted breed or not, I don't have my standard in reach at the moment. I don't remember them being on there though. Regardless, I'll probably take them along with me anyways...

I have not shown yet. Maybe will soon though. Ko's not accepted just yet, but bantam shamo are. You can still show the Ko anyway, accepted or not.

I have not shown yet. Maybe will soon though. Ko's not accepted just yet, but bantam shamo are. You can still show the Ko anyway, accepted or not. 

I've been talking with Mrs. Chung and the requirements are mostly met except one... Consistency of color among wheatens. We discussed a lighter wheaten that has no lacing or shafting, but not a wheaten that would show a white breast. This is for females. Males tend to be a little darker than your average wheaten male but the lighter red hackles I see as being ideal.

Thanks guys! I might just be part of the Ko Shamo gang if everything goes as planned this summer
big_smile.png
Gallorojo, are you headed to York show eventually? I might just run into you
lol.png

I will attend the York show for certain, I go to all the local shows. The York show is practically in my backyard... Hopefully I can get things together here and show a few birds there as well.. I would be happy to meet you!

Awesome! I don't know if i'll have much to bring at the moment though
lol.png
The poultry yard looks a bit empty at this time of the year. Might have a Silkie or two in showable condition, but that's looking to be it

Back
Top Bottom