labeling cartons for sale at farmers market, northern cali

warmth

Chirping
Feb 6, 2021
Contra Costa County, CA
I've been looking through the laws here more times than I'd like to admit, and I STILL cannot entirely figure out what the bare minimum for selling eggs is where I live.

I live in Northern California, and so far I can't figure out if I need to label the grade, size, etc. etc. or if just sticking with the name, address, and phone number is alright. It seems like there's some exceptions for small flocks but the wording is pretty confusing. I've got the license requirement understood, but not what I actually have to put on the cartons.

TL;DR: Does anyone know the bare minimum for selling eggs at a farmers market + off a roadside sign ("Fresh Eggs $5/a dozen", etc.) in Northern California? Our flock is under 500 hens.

This, I think, is what you are looking for.

That said,
I also found this, but it does not necessarily answer your question.

Here in FL, small producers like myself (you, I assume would be similar) have to mark our eggs, on a sign not less than 7" square (font and point size not specified) substantially as follows:

"These eggs have not been USDA graded for Size or Quality". It does not appear that you have that "out", however true it might be.

This, I think, is what you are looking for.

That said,
I also found this, but it does not necessarily answer your question.

Here in FL, small producers like myself (you, I assume would be similar) have to mark our eggs, on a sign not less than 7" square (font and point size not specified) substantially as follows:

"These eggs have not been USDA graded for Size or Quality". It does not appear that you have that "out", however true it might be.
thank you! this and the fact I took a look at some egg cartons in a store today has pretty much answered all my questions :D

Im in Redding area, and have trouble selling for $4 or organic for $6. where are you located, I know eggs are worth more in the alturas area. some folks round here sell for 3$ a dozen i know of but typical is 4-5

That is too cheap for California.
People will pay what people will pay. How much varies across the state. Likewise with the premiums one can get for "free range", "cage-free", egg color, and other marketing claims. Just don't claim you are organic unless you can satisfy the FDA and the State courts, as CA's Business and Professions Code section 17200 is no joke and allows for ruinous damages if someone gets a litigious little bee in their proverbial bonnet.

Last edited:
People will pay what people will pay. How much varies across the state. Likewise with the premiums one can get for "free range", "cage-free", egg color, and other marketing claims. Just don't claim you are organic unless you can satisfy the FDA and the State courts, as CA's Business and Professions Code section 17200 is no joke and allows for ruinous damages if someone gets a bee in their proverbial bonnet.
And keep records. If claiming organic, record the lot codes and other info from the feed bag.

I see CL ads for "organic" eggs that I doubt are organic. Organic is SO much more than free range.

Back
Top Bottom