Laced Wyandotte genetics

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I'm really interested in learning how laced wyandotte genetics work. I have a silver laced wyandotte rooster and hen. I just picked up a golden laced rooster today because I'd like to put him with the silver laced hen. I know i will get golden laced pullets and silver laced boys but the boys will carry gold. I don't mind this, as i plan to cull the boys on hatching day. I also have some chicks that look to be blue laced silver and splash laced silver. I don't know if they are boys or girls yet. I know how the blue black and splash genetics work, but how would those interact with the gold laced rooster?

Gold lacedxblue silver laced: 50 percent of cockerels would be gold/silver laced and 50 percent would be blue gold/silver laced. 50 percent of pullets would be gold laced and 50 percent would be blue gold laced.
Gold lacedxsplash silver laced: cockerels would be blue gold/silver laced. Pullets would be blue gold laced.

The nice thing about dilution genes is they work the same no matter the context. Whether the bird in question is a blue, a blue gold laced, or a blue silver spangled. You must just remember that both silver and blue are working at once, same as they always do. At first, you might use the calculator for that, but eventually you will probably figure it out in your head.

Don't forget the effect of slow feathering. Good quality lacing requires one of the slow feathering genes. Since it is sex linked......

As long as all of the parents are fully laced, you will have one or more of the slow feathering genes in play. The problem I've had is when more than one variant is segregating. K4 gives the best overall lacing but chicks have few to no body feathers until about 6 weeks old.

Good information thank you, so I know the roosters will be crosses and will not be desirable, since they will be carrying the gold, but would I be able to call the hens pure gold laced and blue laced gold? Could I then breen them to a gold laced rooster and they would breed true?

Good information thank you, so I know the roosters will be crosses and will not be desirable, since they will be carrying the gold, but would I be able to call the hens pure gold laced and blue laced gold? Could I then breen them to a gold laced rooster and they would breed true?

I wonder that too.

you can grow cockerels for meat.

Yes.

Yes, I do that sometimes but it's quite expensive meat. I prefer to cull them as soon as I know they are boys to save the feed costs.

do you have room to grow them the old fashion way: they eat what they find themselves with a handful feed from us? I can do that and I will. for the first 2-3 weeks they do not eat a lot. I also prefer taste of home grown chicken and I love chicken broth.

Back
Top Bottom