Laced Wyandotte genetics

I don't seem to really understand.
I apologize for that!
Autosexing - I'm thinking about the markings in colors or in chickens, which clearly distinguish males from females.
The silver and gold traits are found on the chromosomes that also determine sex. There are lots of chromosomes. So if you know what traits are on the sex chromosomes you can manipulation the cross so you know which colour is which sex. When you do this, you create sex-linked chicks with different down colour on the day they hatch, and they they feather out differently as well.

Wyandottes with poor lacing are from having the wrong Slow Feathering gene. This presumes pattern gene, melanotic, and columbian are all homozygous. With slow feathering k4, you get full lacing. With the k2 slow feathering variant, you get arrow shaped lacing.

I need to get a fresh picture, but you can see the effect of k4 slow feathering gene in this young hen. http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/slw.hen.jpg

My question is: can i call a gold laced wyandottes created from a sex link cross, a pure gold laced wyandotte? Or is that misleading? Would someone wanting to breed glw happily use a such pullet to make more glw with a glw rooster?

Also, if i use a blue laced silver hen in the cross, will that make a blue laced gold hen? And again, could i call it pure?

My biggest concern is selling pullets as pure and upsetting someone if they don't work in their breeding program, just trying to find out if it's a legitimate glw.

My question is: can i call a gold laced wyandottes created from a sex link cross, a pure gold laced wyandotte? Or is that misleading?
The F1 pullets will be 100% Gold Laced Wyandotte.

Would someone wanting to breed glw happily use a such pullet to make more glw with a glw rooster?
Yes. 100%

If i use a blue laced silver hen in the cross, will that make a blue laced gold hen?
Only 50% of the Pullets will be GLW. The other will be Blue Laced Gold.
My biggest concern is selling pullets as pure and upsetting someone if they don't work in their breeding program, just trying to find out if it's a legitimate glw.

They will be pure 100%.

I think I am starting to get it... maybe

So let's say I get to work and make / (find?) a splash laced gold wyandotte rooster. And then I put him together with a standard silver laced black hen. I would get 50% gold laced black pullets and 50% splash laced gold pullets, yes? Or would there be any blue laced gold pullets, too?

How would the cockerels come out, and would it be obvious from their coloring at hatch?

I think I am starting to get it... maybe

So let's say I get to work and make / (find?) a splash laced gold wyandotte rooster. And then I put him together with a standard silver laced black hen. I would get 50% gold laced black pullets and 50% splash laced gold pullets, yes? Or would there be any blue laced gold pullets, too?

How would the cockerels come out, and would it be obvious from their coloring at hatch?
No. To get splash, you need 2 blue genes. Blacks have 0 blue genes. You would only get black and blues.

No. To get splash, you need 2 blue genes. Blacks have 0 blue genes. You would only get black and blues.
So splash laced gold rooster over blue laced gold hen would give you splash laced gold pullets and more blue laced gold, but zero black laced gold? Splash over splash would yield only splash, but the flecks dilute, right?

Back
Top Bottom