Lameness caused by scaly leg mite

Chickenlover88

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2007
Dallas, Georgia
My little blue oegb is a rescue. She has severe scaly leg mite and has lost the use of a leg. The leg is swollen at her knee joint and does not straighten out. She does however get along very well on her good leg. What can I do for her? Here are some pics.
P1010012-1.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010014-2.jpg

P1010015-2.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

P1010021-1.jpg

P1010025-3.jpg

P1010026-1.jpg

P1010027-3.jpg

P1010030-3.jpg

P1010029-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey!! I just realized I know you!! He he he he he! Hi Lindsey! Its magiie from PT!!! Glad to see a familair Face, this site is great, and there are tons of very awsome and Knowledgeable chicken people here! Welcome to the Forum!
lol.png
lol.png

lol thats funny. I actually was an active member on here for a while but stopped coming for about 1 1/2 years. I just came back when I got a chicken again. I really missed having my chickens.

Well, if your chicken has scaly leg mites, then I'm not sure that's why mine has had. My Tootsie had callouses that resembled over grown scales on her legs. It seemed to be painful for her. I haven't been able to find pics that looked even remotely similiar to what I was seeing here.

Anyway, I coated Tootsie's legs well with Vaseline (mostly because that's what I had) and it has made a HUGE difference for her. Most of the callouses are gone, she doesn't hide out in the hen house so much now, she comes out to eat with the others, and she's walking normally on the leg she barely beared weight on a week ago.

I have Camphophenique now and I'll use it next time. It can't hurt to try either of these remedies on your bird, and if it helps her, it'll be well worth it.

Good luck to both of you!

Back
Top Bottom