Langshan Thread!!!

I have seen the plum eggs and know that they exist. I was told that to get pink to plum eggs I have to have a Croad Langshan. I thought that all Langshans gave you plum eggs. So now I am thinking I am going to have to order from a breeder for sure.

I have seen the plum eggs and know that they exist. I was told that to get pink to plum eggs I have to have a Croad Langshan. I thought that all Langshans gave you plum eggs. So now I am thinking I am going to have to order from a breeder for sure.
All langshans in the US are croad langshans. The birds laying plum eggs are far and few, and most breeders don't breed for egg color.

As Ryan said, all Langshans in the US are "Croad" Langshans. The "plum" egg color is a misconception. They lay a darker brown egg that occassionally has a whitish bloom "like that of a fresh plum." This can cause the eggs to have a pinkish look to them. But even if you read the old writings of AC Croad you will not see a word about plum colored eggs. Please don't perpetuate this falsehood. The breed is legendary for its hardiness and production, not some weird egg color.

As Ryan said, all Langshans in the US are "Croad" Langshans. The "plum" egg color is a misconception. They lay a darker brown egg that occassionally has a whitish bloom "like that of a fresh plum." This can cause the eggs to have a pinkish look to them. But even if you read the old writings of AC Croad you will not see a word about plum colored eggs. Please don't perpetuate this falsehood. The breed is legendary for its hardiness and production, not some weird egg color.
I actually prefer to have the darker plum eggs and deal with breeders that breed for the egg color and all that comes with having a Langshan. I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to put into this specific detail that only this breed of chicken produces. I simply questioned if I always had to go through a breeder if I want a bird that lays the unique color or is it every Langshan. Personally I do not believe anything foolish about the breed or anyone else's personal preference. It is not a misconception, but something of preference.

Last edited:
I actually prefer to have the darker plum eggs and deal with breeders that breed for the egg color and all that comes with having a Langshan. I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to put into this specific detail that only this breed of chicken produces. I simply questioned if I always had to go through a breeder if I want a bird that lays the unique color or is it every Langshan. Personally I do not believe anything foolish about the breed or anyone else's personal preference. It is not a misconception, but something of preference.

I am sorry but you are mistaken. That egg color story is a recent invention and not something originally prevalent in the breed.

Yes every Langshan (other than hatchery junk) will sometimes lay eggs with bloom on them. As a matter of fact so do Cochins on occasion, which makes sense due to the fact that Langshans were used to save the breed.

There is a lot more to a Langshan than egg color alone. Every example I have seen from breeders that "breed" for egg color was poor type and hardly looks like a Langshan at all, often being small, pinched and poorly balanced.

This is a great breed with a rich history. Hopefully folks will guard it carefully rather than fall for recent fads and misunderstood history.

I am sorry but you are mistaken. That egg color story is a recent invention and not something originally prevalent in the breed.

Yes every Langshan (other than hatchery junk) will sometimes lay eggs with bloom on them. As a matter of fact so do Cochins on occasion, which makes sense due to the fact that Langshans were used to save the breed.

There is a lot more to a Langshan than egg color alone. Every example I have seen from breeders that "breed" for egg color was poor type and hardly looks like a Langshan at all, often being small, pinched and poorly balanced.

This is a great breed with a rich history. Hopefully folks will guard it carefully rather than fall for recent fads and misunderstood history.
What is recent to you? My grandparents even bred for plum eggs. Therefore I cannot agree with what you have seen. Unless the 1950s are recent in your opinion in this case. Our birds were larger than average. 8 lbs was one of our smallest. My grandfather took pride in their intelligence, hardiness, sweetness, size, egg color, meat, and production. They were the best dual purpose breed by his standards. Not to mention how gorgeous they are. I am upset that my my family has let this strain die out. I have seen similar ones in shows, but they are smaller than the birds that I grew up around. Check out livestockconservancy.org .

Back
Top Bottom