Large Brooder Box

wdthompson1

Chirping
Nov 17, 2015
Ohio
Hi,
My SIL and browsed through BYC and Pinterest looking for designs on making a brooder box. I had ordered 40 new chicks and needed something better than what I had. What we found was some great pics of after and minimal instructions. I thought we would like to share how we did ours by sharing our more detailed pics. If anyone wants more info please ask and I will share.

Last edited:
I had 24 chicks in a brooder box in my living room for six weeks. I will never have that many again as it was overkill for my small backyard flock. I am, however, extremely interested in how you did your brooder box. What size, and what was primary construction material?

Last edited:
I had 24 chicks in a brooder box in my living room for six weeks. I will never have that many again as it was overkill for my small backyard flock. I am, however, extremely interested in how you did your brooder box. What size, and what was primary construction material?
The overall size is roughly 4’x8’.
Used plywood, 2”x4”s, ripped 2”x4” to 2x2, metal handles, casters, and chicken wire. I should also mention that I kept mine in garage until today when I placed in the barn.

We always want pics, why are you holding out on us.:frow
Are your chicks layers or meat birds?
I am still new to posting. Sorry I thought that when I added the media folder it would attached. I have since added pics to the thread.
These chicks are for layers. I will have 50 birds in all. I have silver and gold laced Wyandotte’s, Buckeyes, Isa Browns, and Easter eggers. We are starting a Veteran learning farm and do this to help donate food to our local Veteran Food pantry.
We hope to later turn another stable into a coop for meat birds.
We also have other programs we will be doing here such as forging, woodworking, beekeeping, art, and others.

Hi,
My SIL and browsed through BYC and Pinterest looking for designs on making a brooder box. I had ordered 40 new chicks and needed something better than what I had. What we found was some great pics of after and minimal instructions. I thought we would like to share how we did ours by sharing our more detailed pics. If anyone wants more info please ask and I will share.
Awesome work! My baby chicks aren’t too big yet but I’ll make sure to keep these photos in mind for when they get around that size, you have a beautiful dog too!

Hi,

Awesome!

Awesome work! My baby chicks aren’t too big yet but I’ll make sure to keep these photos in mind for when they get around that size, you have a beautiful dog too!
Thank you. I have the chicks in there since I picked them up from Meyer Hatchery in Polk,Ohio.
The Great Dane and Mastiff belong to my daughter and SIL. I do however have one of their pups and named her Reagan. She is a beautiful Daniff and we love her and the new Australian Shepperd Remi that we now have.
Reagan and Remi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom