Large comb have difficulty with new feeder?

Jul 27, 2022
So I switched to a different style auto feeder and since the change, I've noticed they are not eating as much. Like way less. I was wondering if the larger comb on some of them make it harder to get to the food with this style of feeder? I filled up their old feeder and it was gone in like 2 days vs this one still had over half full after a week.

Attachments

• 20230303_104246.jpg
    20230303_104246.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230303_104306.jpg
    20230303_104306.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230303_104327.jpg
    20230303_104327.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230303_104335.jpg
    20230303_104335.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230303_103655.jpg
    20230303_103655.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 4
So I switched to a different style auto feeder and since the change, I've noticed they are not eating as much. Like way less. I was wondering if the larger comb on some of them make it harder to get to the food with this style of feeder? I filled up their old feeder and it was gone in like 2 days vs this one still had over half full after a week.
They may not be comfortable with it yet. I does seem a bit ominous to stick your head in a dark hole to eat. You can try taking their old feeder away, and showing them where the new food is, perhaps scooping a little bit to the edge of the hole.

They may not be comfortable with it yet. I does seem a bit ominous to stick your head in a dark hole to eat. You can try taking their old feeder away, and showing them where the new food is, perhaps scooping a little bit to the edge of the hole.
Ok ill try it. I'd really like them to adjust to this one. It's a much easier feeder. And my dogs can't get in it as easy. Lol

I had this type when mine were really young and I absolutely loved it... then my cockerels got big combs and I realized even though they were sticking their heads in, their comb was keeping them from getting in far enough to get down into the feed. I had to switch and I still haven't found anything as good as that for reducing feed waste that isn't expensive. I did find bigger pvc pieces and I'm trying to find a container with walls thick enough to keep them in place with caulk... they just busted right out of the regular plastic containers I tried them in because they're very heavy.

I had this type when mine were really young and I absolutely loved it... then my cockerels got big combs and I realized even though they were sticking their heads in, their comb was keeping them from getting in far enough to get down into the feed. I had to switch and I still haven't found anything as good as that for reducing feed waste that isn't expensive. I did find bigger pvc pieces and I'm trying to find a container with walls thick enough to keep them in place with caulk... they just busted right out of the regular plastic containers I tried them in because they're very heavy.
Ya I worry about my rooster and one minorca with their combs not getting to the food easy enough.

If you changed feeders due to waste previously, maybe they were wasting a lot more food than you thought. Feel the birds and see if their Body Condition Score declines with the use of these new feeders. If they start to lose weight, then you have an issue with the feed access. BCS can take some time to change, so first thing you can do is pick them off their roosts tonight and make sure they have full crops. If there is a correlation between full crop and small comb, you may be on to something.

If you changed feeders due to waste previously, maybe they were wasting a lot more food than you thought. Feel the birds and see if their Body Condition Score declines with the use of these new feeders. If they start to lose weight, then you have an issue with the feed access. BCS can take some time to change, so first thing you can do is pick them off their roosts tonight and make sure they have full crops. If there is a correlation between full crop and small comb, you may be on to something.
I didn't change for waste. More to help keep my dogs out and to allow more in the auto feeder area for longer weekends when I'm gone. I think they might be slightly less plump but not sure. They get lots of sup feeding too. Egg production is still good.

Back
Top Bottom