large fowl silkes???

heritagehabitatfarms

Songster
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
clinton ar
is anyone working on large fowl silkes??? i love silkes but don't really like the banties... i would like to breed for these but don't want to start with f1 if i don't have to... i would be willing to buy eggs or pay for shipping on adult project birds...
thanks for the info

Last edited:
In Europe, there is a distinct Bantam and Large Fowl Silkie. In the US, they tend to be more of an inbetween size, but are still considered bantam. So right now they are only available across the pond.

Ours are quite a bit larger than the ones I've seen from local breeders. My roo is almost as tall as my Penedesenca roos
smile.png

Here's a link for white F1 chicks said to reach 3 to 4 lbs. . Sold for eating and and 50% will be single combed , but it might be an easy place to get stated . I think a large fowl silkie would be a great asset as a broody , considering getting some someday myself .

http://www.natureshatchery.com/Silkie.html

edited to say look under hybrid broiler/roaster
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm going to see what happens. I have 13 young Golden Comet hens which should end up around a pretty standard size. I'm waiting to see if the two Silkie roosters in my pen will mate with them or not. They seem to get along really well, but no hens, Silkie or Comet, have started laying yet so we will have to wait and see. (Should be by early Dec) I feel like it's possible from how they act together and the fact that I have no standard roosters in the mix. Also, most of the silkies at the farm where mine came from were easily as large as the standard breeds I've seen in person. ...Not really Orpingtons, but definately not bantams. Food for thought?

Back
Top Bottom