Larkwell Valley (2023)

Can't tell anything yet. I get the gut feeling they're fertile, but won't know until I candle them again.

All 4 scovies are broody, poor Moose is being so patient. I keep seeing I'll have to seperate him from the mama's and babies, for how long? Until they're old enough to breed? Or just feathered? I'll be putting the Pekin back with him, so he won't be alone, and he can still see them all, but I know he's not going to be happy seperated
I never had any issue with the males being with the females and ducklings. They had a large area to be in though.

So far not a single duck egg has developed in any of the nests they've built or that I've given to hens.
First year I let the scovies sit, none of the eggs developed. Last year, I let them wait a bit longer and took the eggs away until around now so the babies didn't hatch when it was still cold and got more.

Since ducks (and I'm assuming scovies) can redirect the male's penis to a 'dead end', they may not have gotten fertilized yet?

I checked my eggs for fertility before plopping them in the incubator this year and letting the scovies sit. I may candle the ones in the coop to see how it's going.

First year I let the scovies sit, none of the eggs developed. Last year, I let them wait a bit longer and took the eggs away until around now so the babies didn't hatch when it was still cold and got more.

Since ducks (and I'm assuming scovies) can redirect the male's penis to a 'dead end', they may not have gotten fertilized yet?

I checked my eggs for fertility before plopping them in the incubator this year and letting the scovies sit. I may candle the ones in the coop to see how it's going.
I don't see why the females would be directing them to a dead end though. The hens are the ones currently badgering my Swedish male to breed.

Maybe they want the fun without the responsibility? :lau

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How long have they been sitting?
The ones under chickens are at least 3 weeks. The others are probably at least 2 weeks now. Not a single one is more than a darkened yolk when candling. No views, no heart, no blood rings. They look like day 2 eggs

The ones under chickens are at least 3 weeks. The others are probably at least 2 weeks now. Not a single one is more than a darkened yolk when candling. No views, no heart, no blood rings. They look like day 2 eggs
I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you cracked open any of the more recent ones to check fertility?

Would it be a bad idea to give some of my babies to the scovies? I cracked open newer eggs and saw some bullseyes, but I saw nothing under the nesting mama's. They'd be runners/magpies though, so they wouldn't be scovies

Back
Top Bottom