Larkwell Valley (2023)

I love your variety..the Cornish are so cute. Id love to find a breeder for standard size and breed those..its a shame people eat Cornish x all the day long and the bird it came from is on the watch list.
If I remember correctly, there's not a ton of Cornish actually in the Cornish X. I think just a grand parent.

I love those little bowling balls. I wish my gal Butterball was a bit more proportioned (she actually looks pretty good now), because we almost had to put her down while she was brooding. Her hip was malfunctioning when she was in the brooding pens and we were worried it wouldn't heal.

If I remember correctly, there's not a ton of Cornish actually in the Cornish X. I think just a grand parent.

I love those little bowling balls. I wish my gal Butterball was a bit more proportioned (she actually looks pretty good now), because we almost had to put her down while she was brooding. Her hip was malfunctioning when she was in the brooding pens and we were worried it wouldn't heal.
What a cute name..sorry about her hip 😔

They also are my most reliable bantam when it comes to brooding. My two cochins aren't at all (one is a chick killer and the other is a great brooder but has forgotten that chicks aren't able to care for themselves immediately) and my Japanese nanny bird got snagged by something a few months ago. She was awful to everyone and just ugly as sin, but would take any chicks you gave her, regardless of if she was brooding (she was actually a terrible nester, she would spook too easily to be reliable with eggs).

The silkies are a mixed bag. I have 6 hens now, 2 have yet to brood (hatched about 8 months ago), 1 still hasn't brooded since I got her, 2 are phenomenal and 1 is okay until she just decides she has enough or is done brooding and then it's like a black slate in there.

What a cute name..sorry about her hip 😔
I'll try to find a early pic of her, she did quite resemble a butterball turkey, especially when Dwight bred her bare.

Her hip seems all good now, we think it was a mix of the flooring (wood and shavings as opposed to dirt) and her straining to cover a big nest (that she wanted, not the small nest we gave her 🙄)

So I probably won't let her brood again, or I'll stick her in a rabbit nest box if I do to keep her from sliding into the splits again

I'll try to find a early pic of her, she did quite resemble a butterball turkey, especially when Dwight bred her bare.

Her hip seems all good now, we think it was a mix of the flooring (wood and shavings as opposed to dirt) and her straining to cover a big nest (that she wanted, not the small nest we gave her 🙄)

So I probably won't let her brood again, or I'll stick her in a rabbit nest box if I do to keep her from sliding into the splits again
How many feather pigs do you have? Seems like quite a bit 🙂

At this point, I would just call it an Easter Egger. If anyone judges you, send em to me. We’ll talk it out.
I make it a point to tell people I know what my mixes are mixed with. Probably overkill, but I do take pride that I can at least remember that much. But yeah, most would called his daddy an EE because he's half colored layer

Of course, my barred thing is trying to ruin that too for me. At least she's pretty.
20221007_143019.jpg

Complete total..
Honestly I'm not sure off the top of my head, at leat 80, likely more than 100 if I'm being completely honest. I have to go and count through my records for most and then cross out the ones I've lost this winter. Should probably count the silkies too and see how many chicks I ended up with. I know at least one of those will be culled because of its beak, more because of the toes most likely.

I make it a point to tell people I know what my mixes are mixed with. Probably overkill, but I do take pride that I can at least remember that much. But yeah, most would called his daddy an EE because he's half colored layer

Of course, my barred thing is trying to ruin that too for me. At least she's pretty.
View attachment 3366847

Honestly I'm not sure off the top of my head, at leat 80, likely more than 100 if I'm being completely honest. I have to go and count through my records for most and then cross out the ones I've lost this winter. Should probably count the silkies too and see how many chicks I ended up with. I know at least one of those will be culled because of its beak, more because of the toes most likely.
Whoah that's quite a bit..lol

Back
Top Bottom