Larkwell Valley (2023)

Pics
Put down the sexlink and another pullet that's had health problems her whole life.

Still working on feet. Whatever it is seems to take a while around the toes and pad, and then if it progresses, the lower leg seems to die practically overnight.

Still using the new feed mix. Admittedly got the cheaper scratch of the two, not a huge fan. Might just completely switch to waterfowl feed if it's lower protein. Unfortunately unless I want to go to layer for everyone, I don't really have much choice protienwise. My game grower is on the lower side of protein at 24%, and that already might be causing these problems.

Me and mom were going over when these issues first popped up because we're trying to figure out of it's bacterial, something in the literal land, gout or only from the weather.

The first time was winter (this only pops up late fall-super early spring), and it was a batch of pheonix babies that were weaned too early in the winter. They were put in a brooder with a lamp under our lifted deck. They all developed swollen green feet and all had to be put down. That was like 4-5 years ago, and then we had a pullet the next year or two that lost her foot and lower leg and was put down. Then last winter, we has 3 or 4 that lost their feet.

We have more birds that have to be put down still, but the two last night were the worst and it wouldn't have been fair to them to put it off. The rest that won't stay have the bad moments, but for the most part right now don't seem to really realize they only have one living foot.

So far all have had their leg stop dying about half way up the lower part.

Long, pretty sad update, I know.

Breeding projects may or may not be put on hold, same with new breeds. I'm thinking things over about a lot right now.

20230115_114337.jpg
20230115_114345.jpg
20230115_114340.jpg

Is she from McMurray? There the only place I know of that has specific White NN. Are you ordering more chicks this year, & if so, what & from where?
She's nit actually 100% white. She has a tiny black head feather that pops up occasionally. She just happens to be a white one that came from a mixed pen. Her sisters were a partridge faker and a black one.

I think she came from Murray McMurray, but it could have been cackle or Stromburg. I didn't place the order, I just added onto a friend's order so his was full.

I haven't decided yet I I'm ordering more chicks due to health reasons (mainly the foot issues now). I had a few secret ones in mind though from people on here, those will likely be it if I do buy chicks and eggs.

Put down the sexlink and another pullet that's had health problems her whole life.

Still working on feet. Whatever it is seems to take a while around the toes and pad, and then if it progresses, the lower leg seems to die practically overnight.

Still using the new feed mix. Admittedly got the cheaper scratch of the two, not a huge fan. Might just completely switch to waterfowl feed if it's lower protein. Unfortunately unless I want to go to layer for everyone, I don't really have much choice protienwise. My game grower is on the lower side of protein at 24%, and that already might be causing these problems.

Me and mom were going over when these issues first popped up because we're trying to figure out of it's bacterial, something in the literal land, gout or only from the weather.

The first time was winter (this only pops up late fall-super early spring), and it was a batch of pheonix babies that were weaned too early in the winter. They were put in a brooder with a lamp under our lifted deck. They all developed swollen green feet and all had to be put down. That was like 4-5 years ago, and then we had a pullet the next year or two that lost her foot and lower leg and was put down. Then last winter, we has 3 or 4 that lost their feet.

We have more birds that have to be put down still, but the two last night were the worst and it wouldn't have been fair to them to put it off. The rest that won't stay have the bad moments, but for the most part right now don't seem to really realize they only have one living foot.

So far all have had their leg stop dying about half way up the lower part.

Long, pretty sad update, I know.

Breeding projects may or may not be put on hold, same with new breeds. I'm thinking things over about a lot right now.
I'm sorry about your foot issues. It sounds awful..I wonder what would happen if you did a systematic torching of the ground?

Back
Top Bottom